Author Topic: Next gun purchase  (Read 714 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Next gun purchase
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »
Damn.. I envy you guys..  I live in Kalifornia where we have democrat "reasonable" gun restrictions so I can't own a lot of fun and useful guns..

Come to West Virginia, Get some Cheap Land and have some fun.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
Ive got a Frankinstein FAL my uncle made. It was my graduation gift. I think if you buy one new its about 700 and up. Mine was 350 for the parts lol. at 100 yards its just over 1MOA. Its such a smexy rifle.

A LOT more than that now, Pug.. the SA-58 I built 6 years ago for about $475 on an Imbel receiver with DA accessories would sell for $1600 now in a heartbeat. Century Arms versions about $1200. They are much sought after and command high prices.. couldn't have done better in the stock market. ;) Garands and M1A's have jumped too. I still snap up parts, mags, anything that may be of use in the future to support them whenever and wherever I find them.. limited supply, rising demand. Won't be long and the gun grabbers will outlaw the parts, too.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »
My Tantal is is great for the price. Make sure to get an Interarms one instead of the Century, as Century has used wrong-twist domestic barrels (for us 5.56) and the 5.54 ammo apparently tends to keyhole after a few rounds. Interarms uses the original polish chrome lined barrel.  Quality control has also been an issue in general with Century.

However, Mine does need an adjustment on the front sight block. I have it zeroed but the post is all the way to the right so, more anal retentiveness than anything else, I want to center the block. Might or might not be a big deal to accomplish.

You can also replace the rear stock on a tantal with any standard AK stock if you don't like the folder. The front handguard is a bit different, at least the upper.

Still good value, and great given Russian surplus ammo at $125 per 1080. The after market trigger group is smooth to say the least. Almost a hair trigger and you really have to pay attention to finger discipline on the line. And, virtually NO recoil. .22 LR almost.

Charon

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
that much Hang? That is crazy... Mine probly wouldnt go for to much. Its a Century Arms receiver, took a good bit of grinding and polishing to get it to where we wanted. The barrel is from some SAm country, its kinda funny cause the blueing is rubbed of on the end from soldiers standing with it at ease or parade rest lol

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 10:44:56 PM »
*Hangs head in shame*

The cheap stuff: Serbian made Monarch .233rem/55GR soft point

I like plinking in volume, and the Bushy loves the stuff.  Makes for longer cleanup, but I got more time than money  :D

I use some Serbian made 223 rem/55gr sp in my Savage, it's called Highland over here but judging by the packet I think it gets rebranded around the world (mine has a piccie of a fox on the front). It's quite reasonable ammo. I tried some nasty russian ammo (bernaul, steel cased), gawd it was awful. It fouled the barrel, and the breach -even had a round stick.

So I gave up on the russian stuff and stuck to the serbian. It slaughters rabbits, hares, and goats nicely (potted 3 goats and 3 hares on Friday). I have some Federal 64gr Power Shok for special occasions :)

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 09:35:22 AM »
I use some Serbian made 223 rem/55gr sp in my Savage, it's called Highland over here but judging by the packet I think it gets rebranded around the world (mine has a piccie of a fox on the front). It's quite reasonable ammo. I tried some nasty russian ammo (bernaul, steel cased), gawd it was awful. It fouled the barrel, and the breach -even had a round stick.

BTW you are correct about the re-branding - I get it at an American chain store called Academy - Monarch is their own brand (ie re-branded Serb or Russian ammo depending on the make & model).

I shot more this weekend, and was truly impressed with the accuracy - with my Bushy AR-15 (with Explore Optics scope - new local company located nearby in Flower Mound Texas), I was able to literally shoot a dime sized bullseye consistently at 100 yards (I think 20+ out of 30 touched the edge of the "dime").  the other 8 where within 2 inches, and 1 or 2 were about 4 inches away.  I'm not that great a shot a general, so chalk up the less than perfect shots to me and not the ammo.  BTW the ammo I'm talking about is NOT the green box Monarch .223 FMJ (Russian)- it's the black box .223 Soft Points (Serbian).  The former is very cheap steel cases, the latter, higher quality brass.

I have only two knocks against the ammo and accuracy is not one of them:
1) It's a bit dirtier than good stuff - however, just makes for a little more elbow grease when cleaning, which doesn't bother me as it's just more quality time with my rifle :-)
2) The shells extract VERY hot - one stuck on my arm and literally caused a small burn - which tells me not all the powder is finished burning by the time the bullet is gone.

Overall I love the stuff for plinking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------