Author Topic: Suspect Nation  (Read 931 times)

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
Re: Suspect Nation
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
What's crazy to me, is that when I posted about the government listening to phone calls and scanning email in this country, many of the wingnuts used the tired argument: "if you ain't doin nuthin wrong, you ain't got nuthin to worry about."

Now, they talk about shooting out cameras. Huh.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
they can't listen to my phone, i shot it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:20 AM »
IIRC, the "nuthin' wrong" argument was applied to phone calls and e-mails that originated outside the US that they were going to monitor under FISA procedures. In short, they were primarily looking at people OUTSIDE the US.

A camera on Main Street USA isn't quite the same, now is it? Be honest.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »

No, but Republicans have been relentless on attacking FISA:
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/02/republicans-block-fisa-talks

They also got retroactive immunity for Telecoms passed.

BushCo doesn't want to be beholden to FISA, or bother with warrants.

And the issue with collecting emails on the internet, is that it's pretty hard to identify outside US-to-inside US communication. They have to cast the net wide, and sift through many Gmails.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »
IIRC, the "nuthin' wrong" argument was applied to phone calls and e-mails that originated outside the US that they were going to monitor under FISA procedures. In short, they were primarily looking at people OUTSIDE the US.

Actually there are no less than (3) in Lansdale, PA to "assure that nobody is vandalizing the Kugel Ball"   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugel_ball

Oddly enough though, if you look at them closely (1) is always pointing at the train station. 

Did I mention that the feed goes directly to the police station which is directly behind the building that the cameras are mounted on?

Big Brother or lazy cops?

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.