Author Topic: Dow Jones plummets  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
Re: Dow Jones plummets
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
A decision that big is never handled by one man... no matter how big, in fact it is often done by vote of the board of directors and/or common stockholder vote
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 12:14:15 AM »
it's never too late to order more guillotines.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 12:17:01 AM »
it's never too late to order more guillotines.

:rofl

Yea,that will simulate the economy.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:55 AM »
The depression was caused by many situations.  the rich getting richer, we where out producing more then what was demand, so on and so on.  History will repeat itself.  It is inevitable.  America is at a point that F&^( up.  CEOs make more than what they are worth.  Sending jobs to third world country for cheap labor.  Unions forced companies to paid more to there employee, health insurance, ect. I hate to say it, but will are one the way to a collaps country where we may see another civil war.

I would think that the main problem with CEO's isn't so much that they are paid more than they are worth, but how they are paid-many a time, with stock options' that lead up to them having a considerable stake in a company; That can influence their decision to go with, say, a merger, wherein they might personally profit, but the same merger might result in the loss of Hundreds, or thousands or tens of thousands of other jobs...Or get's the purchasing company one step closer to having an overwhelming share of the market, making it hard for competitors.

I don't really think that unions have that big an impact anymore, though. Maybe back in the '70's, when Union labor of all trades and crafts made up a total of roughly 22% of the U.S. workforce. Today, It's less than 8%, I believe. Too small a group to really have much impact, anymore.

And, if we didn't have a Civil War in the 1930's, during the great depression, I really doubt we'll have one today. You might have some riots, but no outright armed conflict.

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »
Ask just about any successful CEO what his job is and you'll get roughly the same answer, "Increase shareholder value".

Regardless if the results are good or bad for the economy, employees, or anyone else; it is just what the job requires, and that is what they are getting paid to do.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2008, 12:31:05 AM »
I do agree that part of the pay a CEO gets should not be shares of stock - unless they are deferred until his retirement.  I understand why companies gave stock to CEO's so that they will have a vested interest in doing good for the company.  Unions screwed the pooch when they stood behind PATCO's illegal strike in the early 80's... then they got smacked by Reagan's mighty Banstick!  
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »
trul. I am not sying CEOs is the reason of what is going on with the stock.  It is just f^&* up how things are.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2008, 12:42:50 AM »
And, if we didn't have a Civil War in the 1930's, during the great depression, I really doubt we'll have one today. You might have some riots, but no outright armed conflict.

Today, society is alot more aggressive than it was almost 100 years ago.

I strongly disagree, once it funnels down to the average person you will see the effect.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »

I strongly disagree, once it funnels down to the average person you will see the effect.

I believe you have a point... Before we had politicians that gained power by uniting the nation, now we have a bunch that try to divide us, by race, by income levels, even by geographic location... the politics of class envy, etc will cause a problem eventually.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2008, 01:07:27 AM »
Stock market loss today - 1.3 trillion dollars

the average american investor in mutual funds, pension plans, ira's etc

lost more today theoretically, than the "bailout" monies in total

Weird science is afoot
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:29 AM »
be ready for Tuesday market.  After seeing the Europe and Asia market respond to the failure bailout, it effects them.  Man, i better get my gun loaded and ready.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »
i have 12 acres zoned agricultural, i may have to become a farmer. Crops, pigs, chickens.

Why didn't you start sooner?  Does the land need to be cleared?
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:30 AM »
We have needed a correction in the markets for a very long time... For too long, we created artificial bubbles in the economy and printed tons of money to prop it up and prevent the proper corrections from occurring for far too long.  No matter what happens in the markets, we can always regroup... we always have.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »

More passive than anything, I would believe Del...In all honesty, you can look at something that was a big issue, like the Rodney King riots; The only people there that were motivated by the issue at hand (the trial of the policemen) were the ones' that burned down the guardshack in front of the courthouse parking lot. Everyone else was only after free VCR's and Air Jordan's...They weren't gonna stick their neck's out for anybody else than numero uno. And these were by and large the "nastier" segment of Angelino's (Mexicans and Blacks living below poverty level/welfare, Highest gang-related violence demographic in L.A.)  

I'm sure you'll see a marked increase in petty theft/burglary, and i'm sure violent crime will be on the rise, But the American people have gotten too fat, complacent, and have grown too far away from the kind of stuff the founding fathers' of this nation were made, to take to the streets' en masse to overthrow their gov't.