Author Topic: The Joys of Childhood...  (Read 734 times)

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Re: The Joys of Childhood...
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »

Hours of fun
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
Skateboards. The kind with metal wheels that drove the neighbors nuts.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
Ding dong ditching apartment complexes. Well, the neighbors met each other in odd fashions. :D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BOXGIRL

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
My favorite toy at age 4. :rofl
(Image removed from quote.)

i had the dolls to lol...used to play them all the time. Man that pic brought back some memories.
^"^Nazgul^"^
Well behaved women rarely make history"Marilyin Monroe

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »
My own tool box, legos, hot wheels, being outdoors all day, no bills, fishing with my dad.

Fudge, I'm only almost 19. :(
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
AFX Race tracks....
An Orange Schwin that I could ride wheelies on for blocks...
Honda XR75...Suzuki RM100...
Football...Baseball
Playland skating rink and "Contests" in the back corner....and a girl named Sherri....
Going steady with sisters....one one week the other the next and on and on for a summer... :eek:
Floating the Buffalo river with Renee...
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
Legos.  Lots and lots of Legos.

Also, building toy guns out of scrap PVC piping, broomstick handles, and finishing nails.  Playing "war" around the house with the toy guns we made.

The kid down the street picking 50 almost-ripe oranges off of our only orange tree, and hitting all of them down the street with a baseball bat.

Riding my bike 20 miles to the beach.

Going to the pool nearly every day for 10 years, growing up surrounded by people my age wearing almost nothing, and later in life wondering why most of the country acts like a bunch of puritans when it comes to showing a little skin.

Joking around with the kid who got a speeding ticket at age 14... on a skateboard... in a 25mph zone.

Winning the school "bike rodeo"  in 5th grade with a perfect 100% score, and getting an hour's ride-along in a real cop car for a prize.  We didn't shoot any bad guys but man were we ready!

Not having enough money to stay in hotels on vacations, so twice a year we went camping for a week in one of our national forests.  Wondering later in life why some people freak out when they're out in the woods, and teaching USAF survival school using things that I learned at age 8 during those family camping trips.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:46:29 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 06:06:32 AM »
60's...hmmm
When my parents "disappeared" and came back weeks later in '66 (honeymoon, they got married after I was born)
Me getting hooked on the beatles and playing vinil records in parties, that was cool.
Helping dad to wire the house he was building 67-68. (I was on the pulling end)
Being with dad when we had the first TV, in 1967 or 68. I think it was a cold day.
Going on trips with my carpenter granddad all over the area, measuring up things etc. Gravel roads and the car was a Ford Taunus.
Being eager about the moon landings. Did it last 4 days?
My first solo bus-trip. I was 4.

70's is much more, much worse. hehe.

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 06:26:16 AM »
"But weren't the 70s a DRAG you know?"  <John Lennon, in an interview shortly before his death>

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »
Shuckins, am 1 year older than you.  I delete more posts on the BBS than I post.  I think I'm at the age now that I just don't get it anymore.  Am happy about that if "it" be what I see bandied about and especially "how" it be bandied about.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »
My feeling for most of the 70's is that they sucked....
One 70's memory was going to the barber and seeing hippies waiting for a HAIRCUT...a proper one :D
Another one is that (as today) fashion had trousers wide at the bottom (what's the term in English?), and that meant serious trouble on my bicycle, since it would get jammed in the chain. My solution was strapping them together, so I had "leggings" made of a rubber band. Hehe.  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)