Author Topic: Increasing 'in the cockpit' immersion  (Read 123 times)

Ivedog

Increasing 'in the cockpit' immersion
« on: April 02, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
How hard would it be to implement:

1)  Canopy reflections

2)  A mouse-slewable view

If either or both of these things were implemented, I think it'd be a huge step forward with regard to immersiveness in the cockpit.  Sometimes it's just nice to move the virtual head naturally and slowly instead of snapping or panning.  It seems the mouse is just the perfect way to do this.  It's a great feature found in EAW, WWII Fighters, Janes F-15, and Janes F/A-18.  I think it'd be a very welcome addition to Aces High.

And canopy reflections... well, that'd also do a lot to increase the "you are there" feeling.  Seems these are implemented in a lot of the newer sims (WWII Fighters, MiG Alley, Falcon 4, F/A-18, Flanker 2), and I think it would also be a very nice feature if added to AH.

My two cents...

Thanks,

Ivedog

------------------
The Volunteers!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2000, 12:32:00 PM »
Nothing yanks me out of my "immersion", and reminds me that I am flying a computer, more than using a mouse to control the game.  I guess I don't mind have mouse controlled views as long as I can ignore them and use the hat switch.

popeye

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2000, 05:28:00 PM »
I think a mouse panning will be hard to get in the game, as the menu is controlled by the mouse.

Another choice would be to assign a key/button to be held to activate "Move Head with joystick" mode, once you let go you are back in control of plane and the view would stay where you left it.
This is known from Red Baron II and you would control your view like it is done when in a turret; you get both fast and slow panning then, which isn't possible at the moment using you hat in "pan" mode.

It will be hard to use well in a dogfight, as you of course loose your control when you hold the button, but then again, if you had mouse panning this would also be hard to use in dogfight.

People who don't like this feature can then just don't program the key to activate it, and keep with the viewing they have used all the time.

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 04-02-2000).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

funked

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2000, 07:30:00 PM »
Snefens the mouse panning is easy to implement.  You just use a key command which switches the mouse from menu control to view control.

Window reflections would be cute, as long as I can turn them off.

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2000, 08:29:00 PM »
Thats true Funked.

I guess they could add both things then, and people could deciede for themselves what they wanted to use, if any  .

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Ivedog

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2000, 10:52:00 PM »
Ugh... I hated that in Red Baron II.    That, I never got used to.  They way I've got my HOTAS set up now, my mouse is on the left side of the keyboard just outside my throttle.  This way, I can fly while I'm panning w/ the mouse.  Took a week or so to get used to having the mouse over there, but now I'll never go back!  Now I'm even a 'lefty' for shooters like Rainbow Six.

They way I figure, since the ESC key brings up the map in Aces High, that could be the toggle for the mouse-view mode as well.  When the maps up, no mouse action... When the map is gone, your mouse moves your head.

Ivedog