Author Topic: The World is watching us...  (Read 979 times)

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: The World is watching us...
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
Whatever is in that bill, they should add some regulation, and force them to focus on long term growth/future so this will never happen again.  

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
imop the bail out should include actions not 700bn on top of 700bn alredy wasted :
 -bring 140000 troops home, save billions, and use some of them to kick out 12 milion undocumented workers and quick create jobs: 14% of them are working in construction for 5$/hour building cheap houses, (i read yesterday that 50% of California construction workers are undocumented):, 50-70% of the price of a house is labour.
  How to keep the price of houses high, when are build with cheap lumber imported from Canada and 5$/hour labour from Mexico?
-close NAFTA
-taxes on imports
As long as in Wal Mart the only items made in USA are some vegetables grown by illegal workers in California and some cheese made in Wisconsin, the economy won't recover,

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:32:12 PM by ghi »

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »
The British and German governments have worked this week to bail out 5 European banks that were holding stinky loans.

Ain't a world without borders grand? Ain't derivatives grand?

This isn't a wall street bailout. This is the US pillar of the world banking system.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 04:33:57 PM »
We can do this without it... cut capital gains and corporate taxes, end market-to-market accounting and that will free up tons of cash within weeks.

You mean mark-to-market, I believe.

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 04:51:39 PM »
You mean mark-to-market, I believe.

i did, just didnt look after i typed...
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
This,

I am tired of the US doing things for the world whenever something big happens.  For once, if the world is that scared, why don't they donate to the Wall Street Catastrophe Fund.  Bail us out for once instead of us bailing them out.

and this,

Hell, they could give a crap about us, they're worried about their own skins! If we go under, they go under. Global economy! Nuff said!

Should be quoted for truth. The rest of the world wants to watch and wait in the same manner as a vulture circling a dying cow. And when you think of the Irony of the Marshall plan after WWII, or the Berlin Airlift, or any of the god-only-knows how much Humanitarian aid we've shipped around this globe over the decades, you think they might feel like trying to reciprocate a little. But as you can tell, the silence is deafening, and is speaking volumes...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:03:15 PM by FrodeMk3 »

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
imop the bail out should include actions not 700bn on top of 700bn alredy wasted :
 -bring 140000 troops home, save billions, and use some of them to kick out 12 milion undocumented workers and quick create jobs: 14% of them are working in construction for 5$/hour building cheap houses, (i read yesterday that 50% of California construction workers are undocumented):, 50-70% of the price of a house is labour.
  How to keep the price of houses high, when are build with cheap lumber imported from Canada and 5$/hour labour from Mexico?
-close NAFTA
-taxes on imports
As long as in Wal Mart the only items made in USA are some vegetables grown by illegal workers in California and some cheese made in Wisconsin, the economy won't recover,

Ghi, I'm afraid that all of those issues you quoted, while being IMO not only the most important that should be considered in this election (Due to helping cause our current financial woes) They will be sidestepped, just like they have since Reagan's time. And this Wall Street crisis will be the smokescreen that let's them do it.