Author Topic: Catapulted off the back of the carrier  (Read 341 times)

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
Catapulted off the back of the carrier
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »
I've had this happen to me a couple of times and I know this is not uncommon.
Coming in to land on a Carrier, sometimes the CV starts turning and you come in with a weird angle, applying maximum rudder just before catching the line with your hook, and therefor touching down at a slight angle relative to your direction of flight.
I touch down, and for some reason the catapult starts pulling me backwards towards the back of the deck, and then I fantastically explode giving my fellow country mates a good laugh on range.
Bug or do my landings just really suck?
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
Re: Catapulted off the back of the carrier
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:54:25 AM »
I touch down, and for some reason the catapult starts pulling me backwards towards the back of the deck, and then I fantastically explode giving my fellow country mates a good laugh on range.
[/quote]

The reason your being sent off of the rear of CV:
As soon as you touch down close the throttle, as this set the brakes on the AC. 
The speed of the CV (wind across the deck is enough to shove you off the rear, along with the arresting cable being tensioned against the AC load landing)  :noid  :salute
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:57:11 AM by DustyR »
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Catapulted off the back of the carrier
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »
I've had this happen to me a couple of times and I know this is not uncommon.
Coming in to land on a Carrier, sometimes the CV starts turning and you come in with a weird angle, applying maximum rudder just before catching the line with your hook, and therefor touching down at a slight angle relative to your direction of flight.

Make sure your throttle is all the way back to the stop. Nudging the throttle forward just slightly allows you to back up on the CV, and can cause you to roll off the back.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV