Author Topic: skins  (Read 615 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
skins
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »
will try this topic again. I have vista home premium os. I cannot seem to download individual skins from the AH2 website when I open AH2 as administrator. I deleted all the autoskins I had when I was letting the computer be the administrator and can download individual skins in that mode. But I want to play in the self admin. mode.

Why can I not download individual skins when I am administrator? I really don't want to download all the skins.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:03:03 AM by flatiron1 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: skins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:32 AM »
Are you talking about the auto-downloading of skins in the background?

I assume you are running Vista.  If you switch between running the game as the administrator and as another account, the game files are going to be put into two different places.  That is Vista's UAC at work.

You need to pick one mode and stick with it.  When an update to the game is available, you must run the game as administrator in order for the game's auto-updater to be able to work.  After the update is complete, just resume running the game as normal.

UAC is a pain and really does not do anything useful.  Not sure why Microsoft implemented it the way they did.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
I have picked one mode, as administrator. The problem is when I try to download individual skins off the AH@ website they only show up in the other mode which I do not want to use. I just want to downloas a few skins not all of them.

Offline captkaos

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
I have the exact sam e problem.  I am the administrator and run the entire OS as the administrator.  When I download an individual skin, it doe s not work.  The only way I get skins is through autodownload of skins.  I can delete the skins I do not want, but how do I force it to download all the sins at once?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:31:01 PM »
If it work via the auto-downloader, then you are not placing the skins in the correct place when you grab them from the WEB site, as those files are identical.

Instead of fighting with UAC, I would suggest re-installing the game outside of the "Program Files" folder.  UAC only acts on files/folders under the "Program Files" folder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline captkaos

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
Skuzzy, been there done that.  I am placing them in the right file folder, the strange thing is if I download one at a time, the skin files show up in the correct folder.  But than when I leave the download site, and go to the skins folder, the skins are not there.  Double, and triple checked the file location.  I got it right, I think the problem is with Vista.  By the way, it worked fine until the last update, not sure what differnce that made.

While in the game, is there a way to force a complete autodownload of skins?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
Oh it is Vista.  You think you are placing the files in the right folder, when in fact the right folder is being redirected by Vista's UAC to another location when they are being downloaded by the game.

Like I said, the easiest thing to do is to move the game out of the "Program Files" folder and then UAC/Vista will leave it alone.

Skins come down one at a time whether they are from the auto-download in the game, or via the WEB page.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »
the strange thing is if I download one at a time, the skin files show up in the correct folder.  But than when I leave the download site, and go to the skins folder, the skins are not there.

Thats exactly the problem a friend of mine had, with any kind of file download. He would set the target location and it would download, but when he went to that location it wasn't there. An even funnier thing is, it would appear to be in the right place from the download menu.
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline captkaos

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »
Can I just move the entire game file, or do I have to uninstall and reinstall it?

Offline captkaos

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »
Found a simple work around.  Just download the skins to a different file, and than move them into the skins folder.  Easy fix since I only wanted one skin.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

"Like I said, the easiest thing to do is to move the game out of the "Program Files" folder and then UAC/Vista will leave it alone."

tried moving the folder from program files to desktop and I could not start the game. moved it back to program files. I moved it by dragging, is there a right or wrong way to move it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:46:58 AM »
You cannot simply move the game.  You have to install the game and change its default installation folder.

Poor choice of words on my part.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 07:27:53 AM »
This is what I did later. Instead of dragging the folder I used the "send to" tool to move it to my documents. It took about 5 minutes to do the move and I can open it from the new location. I did not delete it from the program files. I am not a computer expert so my question is would this have the same effect as installing the game and reinstalling in another location.

The reason I wanted to do this really has nothing to do with skins at this time because I just downloaded them all. I was thinking it may have an effect on my lost udp/tcp issue. I have has the game running since about midnight and it has not happened yet (8 hours). So maybe I have stumbled across a fix for my problem. The other way I probably would have discoed at least 10 times in this time period. Also I have it in running in the AVA which seemed to be the worst arena for it too happen. I will continue my experiment and report back.

Oh by the way I have vista.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
Moving the game out of the "Program Files" folder does stop Vista's UAC from constantly interfering with the game.  Even when you are not getting the pop-up warning, UAC is still running everytime you open/read/write a file.

It would not surprise me if the game ran better and was more stable once it gets moved out from the "Program Files" folder.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:27:10 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline captkaos

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »
Skuzzy,

Thanks for the help, I uninstalled and reinstalled in GAMES/AcesHighII  works much better now.