Author Topic: Kimbo got whacked in just 14 seconds!  (Read 1275 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re: Kimbo got whacked in just 14 seconds!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
I dont see how they call it "mixed martial arts"
All it is, is street fighting.

Chit. Thats the style we used back in the 70's on the streets of New Brunswick where I grew up.

The only difference is in this they dont kick him in the face while wearing boots when he's down like we did.

All in all I've been completely unimpressed with the sport.
Every time I watch it. I get that "Been there. Done that" feeling.  ::shrug::

You're welcome to grapple with me and see how well your street fighting experience applies.  :D
Rollins would probably take you up on that too.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 08:12:27 AM »
it's fake
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
WHOOOPTY FLIPPING DOOOOOO! It's street fighting in a cage and one dude gets knocked out...big deal.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:53 AM »
I would rather watch a good boxing match than this stuff.  Really brutal.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »
Wathc the ufc but have never watched kimbo,  Was really hoping shamrock would upset him.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
All it is, is street fighting.

Chit. Thats the style we used back in the 70's on the streets of New Brunswick where I grew up.

The only difference is in this they dont kick him in the face while wearing boots when he's down like we did.

All in all I've been completely unimpressed with the sport.
Every time I watch it. I get that "Been there. Done that" feeling.  ::shrug::

Ya your right, training 70 hrs a week in kickboxing jujitsu, judo, boxing, wrestling, muy tie, and sambo is something every street fighter does.
   Look at the early MMA days, the best fighter isn't the person who is the strongest or toughest. It's the person who is the most well rounded. You cant just be a boxer and do MMA successfully, it takes all of the above.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 12:29:34 PM »

Boxing is dead!

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
^ Yeah, it took too many shots to the head.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »
^ Yeah, it took too many shots to the head.

lawlz
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline mg1942

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 04:45:16 PM »

Welcome to 1995 conceptions of mixed martial arts.

New rules prevent fights from degrading to human cockfighting.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »
This is what happens when MMA is brought down to the same level as the WWF.
Fighters are replaced with actors for the bucks, promoters line their pockets and everything else goes into the crapper.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-kimbo100508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns/

What "actors" fought?

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
MMA is less brutal than boxing.

Tapping out due to a choke or an armbar is FAR better for your chances of NOT ending up like Ali than loosing by KO. Even worse than being knocked out in boxing is NOT being KO'd and having one guy use the other's head for a speedbag for 12 rounds. (Middleweights in boxing actually get more brain damage than HWs, because MWs typically throw more punches and fewer fights are ended quickly.) That boxing glove you think it so humane compared to MMA's little mits? Pure poison from a brain damage standpoint, it only adds to the total mass of the fist impacting the human had and jarring the brain inside around.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Noticed the Brazillian jujitsu flag Indy hehe I think! UFC has better fights because of style match ups and competition. Missed this fight, glad I did. CBS let it go you can't cash in ! Oh yeah and boxing is dead...to many money grubbers in the sport too! :rolleyes:
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline JVX84

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »

I can tell from experience that you're not right about this. It's quite different from a street fight and there's a lot of technique and condition required.

I sometimes train with a MMA fellow. Light weight dude @ around 160 pounds (same as me). If you use random thuggery against this guy, you'll be down in less than 10 seconds - he's an average fighter at the local scene but still he has about 10 different ways to counter any standard technique used in street fighting.

And believe me, this guy hits a lot harder than anyone I've fought on the street. A lot. It's not aggression gone wild berserk, it's the controlled delivery of pain. It's deliberate, thought out and downright devastating. I've had my arnold handed to me every time we've sparred.

Which is why Kimbo Slice goes down. He's a good street fighting brawler - goes up against a mediocre light weight MMA fighter. 14 seconds.

I can certainly see how someone uninitiated can fail to see the techniques used and the skills and physical conditioning required. However MMA is much, much more evolved than street fighting.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
Noticed the Brazillian jujitsu flag Indy hehe I think! UFC has better fights because of style match ups and competition. Missed this fight, glad I did. CBS let it go you can't cash in ! Oh yeah and boxing is dead...to many money grubbers in the sport too! :rolleyes:

Been at it just over a year, not far from a blue belt. I can honestly say it changed my life.