Author Topic: Ditching, part 251...  (Read 131 times)

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Ditching, part 251...
« on: March 30, 2001, 02:35:00 PM »
Please do something about this ditch-thing.
Your fuel gone, your speed stops 2 meters before rw starts -> ditch !

You can actually see the rw and still ditch  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
looks like a ditch to me

what is the complaint here?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
Well, if I understand it right, ditch suppose to mean you're landing somewhere else than friendly airfield. I consider for example that above landing as succesfully landing. I know it's not on the rw, but in the field area anyway.
I know we have to draw the line somewhere, but not along the rw edges.
Just my opinions.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
In addition to giving us the ability to pick up downed pilots in a C47, how about letting us tow aircraft with an M16?  This way you could be towed the extra 2 meters to the runway?

------------------
Mickey
3./JG2

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
I think you if don't have both wheels on the runway, it'll be a ditch but then again if you smash your landing gear and skid to a stop (done it once or twice) on the runway, you get a successful landing. As you stated the line had to be drawn and it appears to be the border of the hardtop of the runway itself.

hope this helps

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
On airport landings should not be a ditch UNLESS you damaged the plane. Many, if not most, airfields used in WW2 didn't have prepared runways. They were a large grass field. You just landed into the wind and away from buildings etc..

If you landed on the field and the plane had no landing induced damage there should be no penalty.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
I was thinking about responding that if a successful landing was that important to you, and you know you gotta be on the runway to achieve same...

...you should rtb before your fuel is gone.

Then I thought, naw, that might be kinda rude. So never mind.

Weave

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2001, 12:29:00 AM »
"...you should rtb before your fuel is gone.
"
Dang, how I didn't figured it out.

But the point is, area of succesful landing should be little larger. Now that wouldn't harm anyone, would it ?

And yes, I like to see that "You have landed succesfully" not for perks (I don't use any), but it just feels better than "You have dithed" 2 metres before rw.

But what the heck, ditch is a ditch and that's all. If it's ok for anyone else.
However I've seen some posts on this matter before too. I quess there's always something to whine about...

TheWobble

Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2001, 01:18:00 PM »
Ran out of gas in AR-234..
glided in and landed, rolled to where back wheels were on runway, front wheel was off the end a few feet.

"You have ditched"

last sortie: -70

roadkill.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Ditching, part 251...
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2001, 12:38:00 AM »
If I find myself rolling too fast after landing, and I have no fuel to turn around and taxi back to the runway...

I kick the rudder to both sides and make te plane crash its gear off. Lots of stuff gets broken and the plane would be unflyable for a very long time, but I get succesfull landing.

Seems very weird that a couple feet of roll off makes me have a ditch, while a totaly busted up plane (sometimes without even wings attached) is considered succesful.

How come those idiots in the little refuel shack can't run over with a 5 gallon can of gas?

------------------
Midnight
13th TAS[/i]
       midnight@13thtas.com      

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone