Author Topic: 109 gunnery  (Read 2956 times)

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
109 gunnery
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »
Hey guys, I have my convergence set about d300 on the 109's(with the exception of the tater which I have at d225) Does 300 sound about right?
Still woking on getting used to the ballistics, as I do tend to grab a jug for porking etc and find that a few flights in the jug seems to get me all out if shape with the German ballistics
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Re: 109 gunnery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »
I set all my cannons in 109's to d200 and mgs out at d250.

It's a single hub cannon. The conv represents the arc of the round. The farther you set it out the higher the arc is. Some will set it out to d300 or more thinking they won't have to pull as much lead and let the high arc make the hit. Your basically still hitting the target at d200 ish but your counting on the high arc to compensate some.

In my opinion this is bad because it causes a false sense of actual lead required at a certain speed and g load.

It is better to use d200 and learn to fly the plane in such a way to create your shots where high G load is not happening when you shoot. This has a lot of to do with the distance from which you shoot. The farther away your plane is from the target the more time you have to roll and shoot ahead of time. The closer you are the more G load you have to pull...but the closer you are the less lead you need.

I must stress that the "crossing snap shot" as I call it is how I kill 95% of my kills. The target is almost always inside d400 and mostly near collision. When the shot is taken the target is flying in front of and past my guns. The method involves calculating the angle of approach of the target and then rolling the nose to a place where the target will pass. There is usually no excessave G load and mostly I am sort of waiting there nose up or down watching the target move across my view. When the time is right....booom.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
try just firing the hub cannon only. IMO, the hub cannon and the MGs have very different ballistics, ROF etc, so if you're hitting with the MGs you're missing with the hub cannon - and you really want to hit with that rather than the MGs. If you fly with tracers on and fire both MGs and cans at the same time, your visual indication of where which rounds are going, and which is which can get confusing. Plus if you see a hit sprite and you're only firing the hub cannon, then you know its the good stuff.
Save the MGs alone for scaring tactics, and use the hub cannon alone for the kill shots.

YMMV.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:14:54 AM »
300 doesn't seem excessive to me.  I have my 20mm and .50cals set to 250 in the 109 and open fire with both, i've not noticed any difference in ballistics at close ranges personally.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:03:29 AM »
Try setting the mg's to 50 shorter than the cannons. I think you'll find it helps keep them all hitting at the same spot.

However for most shots you are better off firing just the tater gun.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
try just firing the hub cannon only. IMO, the hub cannon and the MGs have very different ballistics, ROF etc, so if you're hitting with the MGs you're missing with the hub cannon - and you really want to hit with that rather than the MGs. If you fly with tracers on and fire both MGs and cans at the same time, your visual indication of where which rounds are going, and which is which can get confusing. Plus if you see a hit sprite and you're only firing the hub cannon, then you know its the good stuff.
Save the MGs alone for scaring tactics, and use the hub cannon alone for the kill shots.

YMMV.

You're talking about the 30mm armed 109's, right?  I fire the mg's and 20mm cannon together in the 109F-4, G-2, G-6 and G-14 with success.

Btw, my gunnery improved with the 30mm once I took agent's advice and set it to 200 (you have it at 225, which is just as good).  Setting it further out can actually cause you to miss some close shots because your shells will sail over the target.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:15:19 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
Try setting the mg's to 50 shorter than the cannons. I think you'll find it helps keep them all hitting at the same spot.

However for most shots you are better off firing just the tater gun.

i do the same works great for me
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »
You're talking about the 30mm armed 109's, right? 

Yes, i should have mentioned that ;)
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »
I have everything set to 650 and fire all guns at once.  Personally, I think it's all a matter of preference.  I don't seem to have any problems hitting when I need to.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
                                                            Bomber-Hunting

I set the 13mm all the way out to D650. Use them as "lining-the-target-up" shots or simple "scare-away" shots. I set the Tater to D300. If you make your approach right and heading at high speed at the edge of the controls, shoot the MG at D800-D650. Once you hit D500-300, fire the Tater. If you miss, this means you were either going way too fast and you were shaking, or it's your aiming, not the convergence. If you happen to take rockets, pull the nose up about 2x or 2.5x when you would shoot the Tater at D500-300, less if you're closer, and fire. Don't be afraid of collisions, one rocket should put them out of their misery. Just watch out for drone warping.

Fighter-Fighter

I set the 13mm all the way out to D650. Like above, use them to line the target up or to get their attention. As for the Tater, put it D250, since you only have 60 shots, use them as close as possible and use 3 at a time (max). Don't worry about pulling your nose up, because at D250-D200, you're so close that you barely need to.

Good luck.  :aok

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »
Ask any 109k4 "ace" what his conv is set and and they will tell you d200.

For 30mm anything over d250 is going to cause problems.

However if you only fly fast and boom/zoom like on bombers or only do rope moves then d300 plus might be fine.

Fellas I have tried it all...everything in the book flying the 109k4. I have more hours in this plane than anyone in the game at the moment. If you find anyone who has more I want to know who they are  :O

I am telling you guys if you want to learn how to hit in a "typical" turning fight set it at d200 and learn to fly the "gun" to the target and get as close as you can. If you are inside d400 and firing at conv d300 plus your going to miss.

:salute

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »
I fire my guns seperately both are set at 600yds I dont think there is a magic number just get good at shooting with that setup
for big full profile snapshots it doesnt really matter what your convergence is you'll hit them anyways at that range.

Offline abc123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
In the G2, I have the cannon set to 275, and the mg's set to 250.  Seems to work out well for me, give it a try.
Tree: 73 Myself:  0

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
I actually set everything to D200 and leave it at that, flying the 109s for over 5 tours now I would say this arch has worked out best for me.
Anything under 400 I fire all guns at same time, anything past 400 the 20mm only or 30mm.

Simply put - I don't waste ammo so I tend not to fire past 400 unless I have to, if I can I get right up behind and a quick 2 second burst is enough
to take down any plane aside il-2.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »
not intended as a hijack......

i just flew the G2 in fso tonight. thankfully, there was no air opposition, as i've only flown the 109 once or twice.

how the HE#$ do you guys see out of the dam thing?? i could NOT find a view setup to see easily in this plane?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)