Author Topic: slammer120 needs help from real pilots who fly AH with MS sidewinder  (Read 677 times)

slammer120

Help guys. I use the MS sidewinder joystick and am having some problems that probably stem from real stick time.

Do you real pilots ever manage to learn to isolate all rudder input while applying heavy elevator and aeileron input? Its hard as hell for me to do right now. If none of you has ever managed to do this despite lots of hours with the sidewinder then Im gonna go get some rudder pedals. Rudder pedal suggestions appreciated by the way. Looking at my sidewinder very closely I determined that if Im trying to hold 20% right rudder input, and have 20% input while holding 10% elevator input, if I increase elevator input to, say 30% then I actually have to adjust my rudder input to go to 20% after the elevator input. Did that make any sense? In other words, I cannot isolate wrist rotation to lock rudder input at a certain level and this seems a heck of alot more complex than doing the same thing with pedals. I know the body is much smarter than most give it credit for, so does your wrist just 'learn' to make the adjustment based on visual input of the slip indicator and other things? The bottom line is I want to know if any of you have ever mastered the ability to maneuver with great precision with this stick. If one of you has, then Ill stick it out, and sorry about that pun.

What are your input settings? I set all of them to MAX and with no resistance or close to no resistance like the sidewinder has and no physical sensation of movement to tell me what the hell Im making my poor aircraft do Im not 'Mr Coordination of the Aces High Skies' to say the least.

Please help me here. I dont wanna be a flopping fish in the vertical anymore.

[This message has been edited by slammer120 (edited 01-23-2001).]

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
slammer120 needs help from real pilots who fly AH with MS sidewinder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
My Sidewinder got pretty "loose" from being used so much over the years.  I adjusted my deadband settings, raising them to isolate rudder movements.  By raising the deadband slider in the yaw axis (or any other axis), you increase the amount of movement necessary before the game reads input in that axis.  That may help you.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
I had this problem using the MS PP1 (amoung other problems) but my incredible girlfriend bought my the MS PP2 for xmas and all my problems went away.  

As for the rudder input thing......you learn.....it just becomes.....er......instinct.

Swoop

PakRat

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
No problems here isolating rudder from elevator or aileron (MS FF Pro). I'm not a licensed pilot though I do have a few hours of stick time.

I have heard a number of people say that they prefer pedals over stick twist, however.

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

bertie

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
I use MS sidewinder precision pro USB and I fly IRL.  I have found that it's pretty easy to separate rudder from the other inputs.  The difficulty is making precise, small rudder inputs which is not usually an issue most of the time.  IMO Pedals would only be a neccessity if you like to HO a lot.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2001, 09:23:00 PM »
buy some rudder pedals.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2001, 09:39:00 PM »
Practice up little dweeb!  

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2001, 11:42:00 PM »
I dislike the twisty rudder control of the MS Sidewinder for the reason you mentioned so I added rudder pedals (CH Pro).  Unfortunately, that meant I lost the digital advantages of the Sidewinder (it has to be in analog mode to work with the analog rudders) and I lost the 4 secondary buttons.  However, CH has new USB rudder pedals  http://www.chproducts.com/usb/proped-usb.html  that might allow the Sidewinder to be used in digital mode.  The CH web page say they work with Aces High and even support toe brakes.

[This message has been edited by 715 (edited 01-23-2001).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2001, 12:21:00 AM »
Like Cit said, buy some Rubber p.. errr  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

stefano

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2001, 07:01:00 AM »
Hi Slam!

I used the MS Sidewinder FFB and had the same problems you have with the rudder. I found and bought new pedals who works with my joi and are the best you can find all over the world. Quite expensive but absolute precise.
This is the link: http://www.simmarket.com/hardware/simped/
They product this only in Germany, so you have to waut a little, but... you'll see!

LUPO
-1° Gruppo Caccia-
"Asso di Bastoni"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Longtime MS 3dpro user here. Like sancho once I started flying AH I found things getting a bit sloppy in the center. Once I got the deadbands set right I have no problem at all kicking in the amount of rudder I want for a given manuver.

I would also suggest experimenting with your slider settings. Personally I start about halfway up on the left, and max out around #5. This seems to be a good comprimise between not so sensitive in the center, & full control deflection when I need it.

On the other hand, guys who can afford pedals all seem to love them. If your going to get pedals I have heard VERY good things about the simpeds mentioned above.

Best of luck