Author Topic: When did World War II started?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Re: When did World War II started?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »
bah double post

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 02:34:12 AM »
if you use this argument WWI never started

or it started in 1941 :D

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 05:17:15 AM »
Hmm, the minute after the signing of the treaty of Versailles. I believe that was 1919.

We have a winner.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 06:14:26 AM »
WW2 started with the German invasion of Poland early in the morning 1st of September 1939.
The first victims of the war were German convicts dressed up in uniforms and shot outside a radio-station, building an excuse for the already planned invasion.
The first naval use was by a German warship on a "visit" in Poland when she opened fire with big guns on a polish stronghold.
WW2 went into "world war" when Britain and France together with their colonies declared war on Germany on the 3rd of September.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 06:21:01 AM »
LOL, I love it when the "world" goes to war when Europe decides it's good and ready to start one.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »
This is indeed a tough one, with possibly no one right answer.

The links with WW1 are important and accurate, but too much time passed between wars for the end of the 1st to be linked so closely to the beginning of the 2nd.  If one wants to view both wars as one period that works, but that would put the start in Aug 1914.  (Though the roots falling in the Boxer Rebellion is a good link).

Hostilities began in a minor way in China in 1931, as has been pointed out, but didn't kick off in a very serious way until 1937.  Still, this is only a localized theater engagement.  The Italian invasion of Abyssinia is also a beginning of hostilities of some sort, but had no real significance to the overall conflict.

Europe and the colonies becoming enmeshed in the conflict in 1939 does bring participants from all hemispheres, but they come to fight in Europe.  The Europeans didn't get involved in fighting in Asia until later after Pearl Harbor (I think, someone please check me on this).  As such this is it's own globally participated theater engagement.  A counterpoint to this is the alliance of Germany and Japan.  If one sees the World War as Allies Vs Axis, this that been globally satisfied at this time.

The German attack on Russia brings not only a new front to the European theater, but does span continents.  Remember that the USSR extends well into Asia.  While the fighting didn't really leave the European part of it, an important part of the Russian war effort was moving production east and out of range of German bombers.  This could be called and extension of the conflict to global proportions.

The attacks on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese drive towards SE Asia and the declarations by Germany and Italy that followed did fully bring the conflict into global status.  In this case America is the bridge that spans both the oceans, and is the only combatant that is fully committed to two theaters of war (counting Africa as Europe for the sake of geographical simplicity).

Precursors to the war such as the remilitarization of the Rhineland and the takeover of the Sudetenland are important to consider in the causes of the war, but did not directly lead to hostilities, and as such I don't think they can be considered the beginning.

I think the best single answer is the beginning of Operation Barbarossa, opening the Eastern theater, brining Asia into the fight and eventually leading to the defeat of Germany.  This was the single biggest front of the war, and was probably most responsible for brining it to a close.  Without the strain of the Eastern Front, the tides of war in the West could have turned much differently.  The entry of the US into battle in Europe and the Pacific later in 1941 seals the deal, conveniently just as things start to go bad for the Germans in Russia, and represents the high water mark of the Nazi war effort.  Still, I think that there was enough conflict across the world by that time to consider it a world conflict before the entry of America.

I guess it all depends on how you define a world war.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 07:05:45 AM »
September 3rd 1939

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »
September 3rd 1939 is correct. If Tac's assessment was correct then WWI wasn't a world war at all, but I think most would agree that it was. The vast size of the British Empire at the time basically meant that any war the British got committed to would become a world war.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »
Officially 1st of sept is however accepted, since that was the date of the beginning of hostilities that lead to WW2. Just took 2 days to make it official.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »
Well, to be honest, WWI should be WWII and WWII should be WWIII.  The Seven Year War (1751-1757) should be WWI.  The war consist of French, British, Austria, India and the Colonial and North American Indians.  French and Indian War is part of the Seven Year war.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
  1914   The war never really ended.

~AoM~

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »
Nope. or?
It didn't go global as in WORLD war. This covers less of the globe than just the commonwealth in WW2.
Anyway WW2 didn't go completely global untill 1941, then just about everybody was at war.
But...a very good point, I'm reading up on this now, and TY!

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
It would be interesting to know when it got named as World War 2? There was no such thing as World War 1, before the 2nd one was named. Before that it was "The Great War". So, when were the terms WW1 and WW2 born? How long had WW2 been going on until people realized what it was?

Anyone? (I for sure have no clue on this one)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
If I remember right, it was a pair of british journalists that coined the 'World War 2' term.

Anyways, WW1 was global as well. Nations that declared war on Germany were : Russia (Eurasia), British Empire/Commonwealth (India/Australia/New Zealand/Africa), United States/Canada and Japan. That covers the entire globe actively engaged in combat against Germany.

I think that no war before that had ever included participants from every continent against the same foe and had combat take place around the world under 2 groups fighting each other. Not even the british / french colonial wars as colonies from each side fighting each other doesn't exactly count since they were dragged into it by the dominating powers. WW1 and WW2 however, did see the british colonies and commonwealth nations issue war declarations of their own. 

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
I have all the declaration of war dates but there are too many to list here.  Here is a website with the same information that I have in a book.

http://worldatwar.net/timeline/other/diplomacy39-45.html

Interestingly enough, Poland never "declared" war on Germany or the Soviet Union.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron