Author Topic: buiding a ramp  (Read 239 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
buiding a ramp
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
I know somebody out there can help

I need to build a ramp for my grandfather who lives in a mobile home. Is there a general rule of thumb for building a ramp.

The ramp will need to only get to the deck that is there not all the way to the door.

I was not sure if there was a a general similar to length should be equal to 2 times height or something of that nature.

If it helps he is not in a wheelchair yet but I would like to make sure will be ok for when/if he needs it for that. The reason he needs this is he was involved in an accident several years ago and damaged some nerves and now has trouble with his balance.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:46:14 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: buiding a ramp
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »
A maximum of 1 inch rise for each linear foot of length is the most common specification. 1/20 is better....

Go here: http://www.mobility-advisor.com/wheelchair-ramp-specs.html

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
I think ramps should go up and not down. Well maybe sometimes down, but I don't want to be controversial.

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
If space isn't of concern I would go with the 1/20. Long ramp but much easier to get up it in a chair.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it even the one who felt like being a smart prettythang.  :aok

:salute
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave