Author Topic: HiTech no likes ponys?  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
Re: HiTech no likes ponys?
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »
The P-51 had a laminar flow wing. While laminar flow airfoils produce less drag than more conventional airfoils at low lift coefficients (low angle of attack), they produce more drag at high lift coefficients (high angle of attack). Lift coefficient represents the relationship between the total lift generated by an aircraft to the total area of the wing of the aircraft. Simplistic and short version: At high speed the P-51's wing was superior to the more conventional WWII airfoils, but at lower speeds it was inferior creating more drag.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
I did not read thru this whole 4 page thread, but it is very apparent.........

just look at the 109 shooting down the P51D on the log-In screen  :devil
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
Yeah, it looks like that cannon hit sprite put a drag bucket right on that Pony's laminar wing. 
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »
Yeah, it looks like that cannon hit sprite put a drag bucket right on that Pony's laminar wing. 
I think that drag bucket in the graph is indicating that at that angle of attack, the Pony is surprisingly more slippery.  That hole the 109 put in the wing... it's the opposite of a drag bucket... :P
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »
It should be noted that actual testing of the P-51 vs F4U-1 revealed that the F4U had a smaller turn radius with and without flaps. However, the P-38G was just about dead even with the F4U, again with and without flaps.

That is not the case in AH2, where the F4U-1 has a significant advantage. So, you can find some discrepancies between real world data and modeling in AH2, but these are the exceptions, not the rule. Tailoring flap performance for individual flight models cannot be anything but difficult.

I do know that the flap issues are something Pyro wants to address. I imagine that this will not be a simple thing to accomplish. Previously, it seems that changes to the drag model helped some aircraft and hurt others. There probably isn't a simple solution, so I think that we will have to soldier on with what we have for the time being, adjusting tactics for the individual characteristics of each type. In the mean time, I'm confident that Pyro will get his arms around it.

My regards,

Widewing

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
Thank you for that breakdown Widewing, I always look forward to your posts actually.  Helpful and considerate; not in large supply in these parts.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
I think that drag bucket in the graph is indicating that at that angle of attack, the Pony is surprisingly more slippery.  That hole the 109 put in the wing... it's the opposite of a drag bucket... :P

:aok
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »
I did not read thru this whole 4 page thread, but it is very apparent.........

just look at the 109 shooting down the P51D on the log-In screen  :devil

That's obviously HTC's cover for their anti-Luftwaffe bias. :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!