Author Topic: Mowing down trees  (Read 686 times)

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
Mowing down trees
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
another feature to GV fights would be the ability to mow down tree with a tank, i mean if a T-34 could plow into a tiger to disable it without shooting, and back up and take off, i think we should be about to mow down trees, it would be another fine addition wished for in my 360 degree post
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Mowing down trees
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
This is impossible. For this to work, every single tree would need to be tracked for its destroyed/intact status. Multiply that by how many trees there are on a map and you'd need multiple servers just to keep track of which trees were dead. Front-end tracking can't be done as a tank could run around destroying all the trees on his computer while other's shots were still hindered, giving unfair advantage.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline P1Tiger

• Copper Member
      • VMF-214 'Black Sheep'
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
This is impossible. For this to work, every single tree would need to be tracked for its destroyed/intact status. Multiply that by how many trees there are on a map and you'd need multiple servers just to keep track of which trees were dead. Front-end tracking can't be done as a tank could run around destroying all the trees on his computer while other's shots were still hindered, giving unfair advantage.
you know your like somewhat of a god, your everywhere in my posts, and you always have a right or reasonable answer, lol   :D
VMF-214'Black Sheep' here since tour 93.

http://www.VMFBlackSheep214.webs.com

"It was war. We were defending our country. We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight."
— Captain Wilfrid Reid 'Wop' May, RFC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:50:53 AM »
Only two of them, as I think I think I have only made like 6 posts in the past couple months...most of which have been in the last week.

A lot of the things that come up over time were asked at one of the Aces High Conventions (2005? 2006?) and someone recorded the Q&A session with the HTC crew. That way I have straight answers to these questions, like the one above.

Totally off topic, but it was hilarious hearing HiTech sometimes. At one point, people started crying about how the towns only had 88mm gun emplacements and the vbases hangers were all together (which were both later fixed). His repsonse was something like, "Oh, really? I wouldn't know. I don't play enough to have noticed."
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:52:28 AM »
how about you just cant hit them?
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
Then they would also lose their purpose; to shield tanks from bombs. Things in this game are either solid to everything or not solid to everything, so you couldn't make them discriminate between a bomb and a tank unless they were separate parts, which would probably cause graphic issues.

(Yes, in that same Q&A session, HT says that's the point of trees. Many would say it doesn't work too well. :p)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:10:34 AM »
Totally off topic, but it was hilarious hearing HiTech sometimes. At one point, people started crying about how the towns only had 88mm gun emplacements and the vbases hangers were all together (which were both later fixed). His repsonse was something like, "Oh, really? I wouldn't know. I don't play enough to have noticed."

This explains a lot.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »

Yep I remember one stuka could take out all three hangers.