Author Topic: American Civial War  (Read 2859 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
American Civial War
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:03:52 PM »
I have been doing historic reenactment for a long time.  I cover F&I War up to western frontier.  Most of my cariter is a white man that was adapted by the Iroquois nation as a young age.  Now i am a 30 something scoutmen that goes by the name "Small Load".  I received this name in a Civil War event because i had my 2nd Brown Bess, a .75 cal flint lock.  Most of the weapons where Springfield's, enfield, carbine, Spencer, sharps.  The cal. on these are .54 or less. 

Anyway, let me get to the quesion.  Can you tell me what trigger the American Civial War started?  I know most of the people will say slavery.  Lets see if you are as smart as you think you are.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Re: American Civial War
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »
It is slavery.  Well, not quite.

Slavery caused the split.  Abraham Lincoln caused the Civil War.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »
uhhh....i'll take "spell check inventors for 100 alex..."

:cool:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
It's called not wanting to be strong armed by the Federal govt.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
Would think that you would have to call it an issue of states rights that when boiled down, was an issue over slavery.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
the attack on FT.Sumter
Lighten up Francis

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
Emotionally it was slavery.

But the underlying trigger was the question of whether or not a state had the right leave the Union.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
State's rights.
It is slavery.  Well, not quite.

Slavery caused the split.  Abraham Lincoln caused the Civil War.

This is probably the closest to what really happened. :aok

There were several reasons, so this bit of history is greatly simplified:

North and South developed very different economies, with the South's agrarian economy relying heavily on cheap/free labor (slaves). The Industrial Revolution of the 19th century produced a huge demand for slaves in the south (the cotton gin made cotton very profitable), making the south essentially a one crop economy, and completely dependent on slavery. Combine with this the fact that new states were being added to the union at the time, and the resulting argument over whether these states would be "free" or "slave" states produced a huge rift in Congress and the country as a whole (although delayed by the Compromise of 1850). Lincoln's position was that all future states would be free states.

At the core of this argument was the issue of State's Rights, whether the States were self-determinant, or whether they answered to the federal government. When South Carolina seceded, it did so because it felt (rightfully so) that Lincoln was anti-slavery and more sympathetic to Northern interests. Following it's secession, the government of S. Carolina ordered Washington to get it's troops out of Ft. Sumter. Lincoln told S. Carolina to "stick it" and sent ships to reinforce the Northern army garrison. This is when the sh*t hit the fan.

So yeah, lots of causes, but the core disagreement: State's Rights.
(btw, seven other states had already seceded by the time Lincoln became president)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Emotionally it was slavery.

But the underlying trigger was the question of whether or not a state had the right leave the Union.

Any state in the can sprat them self from U.S.,there is no law that says they can't.  Vermont was in talks to sprat them self from the U.S about a year ago. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
Can you tell me what trigger the American Civial War started? 

Take it from the horses mouth:

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/secession_causes.htm

I think the key line from Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that "Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free," and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.

At the risk of being political, I believe that the political issue was that the slave states were being out voted in the federal legistature, and without the expansion of slavery into expanded country, the slave states would be a smaller and smaller voting block, and the economic and social structure of the south was doomed without a split from the Union. 

The economic and social structure of the south was slavery.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:55:26 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
You know the best thing you could do is simply go find a history book and look at the issues. It's difficult to think that someone who has spent years doing re enactments has no real feel for the conflict you've been playing at.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: American Civil War
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
Some good answers. Its important to remember that at the time of the creation of the nation all the states had legalized slavery and indebted servitude. The fact that it disappeared in the north and stayed on in the south had more to do with climate conditions, crops grown, northern industrial growth, then it had to do with moral idealism.

And there were decades of causes, other then slavery, that had as much or more impact on an eventual conflict. Slavery tended to be the lightening rod that kept opinion red hot, most of all when new territories/states were annexed into the Union and the question of whether to allow slavery in them was raised.

At the same time I'd bet if you asked Union soldiers why they fought 99% would either answer "to preserve the Union", or, "because we were forced to". A southerner would answer the same question, "to preserve our rights". And anyone who thinks millions of white men in the 1860s, on either side, would fight a terrible 4 year war over slavery has a far to high opinion on human beings. The fact is most people on either side couldn't really have cared less about slavery. Those in the north, most of them, didn't think it a good enough reason to fight. And most in the south didn't own any.

The thing is the question of where Federal powers end, and the powers of the States begin, has been a contentious issue from day 1 to today. In 1861 War broke out over it, even today there is constant litigation and political maneuvering over who has power and when. The Federal Govt. or the individual States.

It was the position of The Confederacy that America was a Union ruled by consent and that the Southern states had a Constitutional right to secede from it. The north believed The Constitution formed a Union that was perpetual couldn't be divided and that talk of secession was rebellious.

And that! was the cause of The Civil War.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »
You know the best thing you could do is simply go find a history book and look at the issues. It's difficult to think that someone who has spent years doing re enactments has no real feel for the conflict you've been playing at.

LOL, you obviously don't know why people do historic reenactment.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
Because they think they look cute to the women?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:28:48 PM by Trell »

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
lol, you're called 'small load' (there I said it...) :lol :lol

Okay, now to be serious, I think the first or 2nd post got it right on the money.  :P

I would say though, that it was when they wrote in the Declaration or Constitution (dont remember which one) 'All men are created equal'
No one knows what the future may bring.