Author Topic: What does "unbalancing" mean?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What does "unbalancing" mean?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 06:59:35 AM »
Doesn't this statement contradict your earlier post?  Maybe not, but forgive me for being confused. :o

You and E25280 seem to be in disagreement here about usage and perks.  He seems to contend that the Spit16's usage is high, but no more than other non perked aircraft like the P-51D and N1K.  I also think he's of the position that if the Spit16's usage approached, e.g. 15% of all kills and deaths, it would be time to perk it.

usage of the spit 16 could be at 8 %, but its k/d could be at 35% It isn't used any more than every other plane, but now its dominating the arena by killing more than a third of all planes. Thats what happen to the C hog. it got to the point that the only plane that could compete against it was the C-hog, so every body flew it.  Like I said, usage dosn't matter, how the plane effects the arena does. Should HTC find evidence that the P40 was as awesome a plane as they showed in "Pearl Harbor" (with our buddy Ben) then the plane would effect game play in the arenas and be perked.

It's all about game play. The more fun the arenas are the more people who join after their 2 weeks are up, the more money for HTC.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »
I'm right behind fugitive on this one. Usage only tells part of the story, Kill % tells a bigger piece.

If both usage and kill% are double the next nearest plane then you probably have a game play problem.

As annoying as the spit16 can be its nowhere close to that in either usage or kill %.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
Comparison of "usage" stats using kills and deaths vs. purely percent of kills, September tour:

Usage:
P-51D   8.70%
Spit XVI   7.65%
N1K2   7.30%
F6F-5   5.13%
SeaFire   4.65%
F4U-1D   4.54%
La-7   3.90%
A6M5b   3.55%
Typh   3.54%
P-38L   3.10%

Kills Only:
P-51D   8.94%
N1K2   7.95%
Spit XVI   7.78%
F6F-5   4.47%
Typh   4.12%
SeaFire   4.08%
La-7   3.85%
F4U-1D   3.81%
A6M5b   3.27%
Spit VIII   2.78%

The figures are remarkably similar, with 9 of the top 10 aircraft appearing on both lists.  The P-38L drops off the kills list I am sure because of people like me who use it as a ord dump truck, and therefore it only has a .72 K/D ratio.

Again, I think this speaks to the self-regulating nature of a large population.  The highest K/D ratio on the list is the Typhoon, yet it's usage is relatively low vs. the big 3.  If it was considered an "easy" plane to fly and have success in, you would see more people in it.  The fact that we don't is due to the trade offs involved, and many people just are not willing to give up agility for speed and firepower.  To me, that implies balance.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Yet the P-51D numbers show that many people are willing to give up agility for a little speed and almost nothing else... :devil

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
Yup, the numbers prove the point that the best arena aircraft are not necessarily the ones with the most use or the most kills.  In this case, love of the P-51 is the explanation for what we see.  Except for hauling ordinance, the 190D-9 is clearly a better aircraft below 20k ft for the kind of fighting you do in a P-51, but people want to fly a P-51 regardless. 

The 190D-9 accelerates better, climbs better, rolls better, has more firepower, and is faster below 20k ft than a P-51.  Come to think of it, the only reason the 190D-9 should have a higher ENY than the 51 is the lack of a/g ability and flight time.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »
A B-29 with a "Fat Boy" in the bomb bay would be unbalancing. Extreme example, but IMO apt.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.