Author Topic: Battle Of Britain  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Battle Of Britain
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »
No, but you're flying allied in the BoB scenario, right?  Therefore you're gonna reach 25k every frame, if not higher.  Remember that typical arena altitudes are less than half of what was normal in the ETO.

heh...

fighting 20k+ is much different than in the weeds.

it's a lost/undiscovered art form for the majority.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
The Hispano was a gas powered autocannon that initially had jamming problems in the colder climate of northern Europe.  Those problems were not teethed out until the Spitfire Mk V made its appearance, and even then a 4x20mm armament was not widely adopted out of fear of malfunction.

Almost -
Early Spit Vb suffered from the same problems because of the drum feed for the rounds.
Wasn't sorted out until they went to a belt feed mechanism.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »
heh...

fighting 20k+ is much different than in the weeds.

it's a lost/undiscovered art form for the majority.

got that right!! :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
At 25k and below, the Spit I is the fastest plane in the scenario.  Also, it turns better than all the LW planes.

As for historical accuracy, we have the best planes for accuracy that are available in AH.  I bet we get the He 111 at some point, and then we'll use mostly those -- that's the biggest gap for this particular scenario.

One thing to keep in mind:  For the scenario, we have LW:RAF of 1.56:1.  In the real Battle of Britain, (LW fighters + bombers available):(RAF fighters available) was more like 3:1.  With mostly He 111's instead of Ju 88's, probably we'd need to up the LW:RAF ratio a bit -- but we'll see when the time comes.