Author Topic: Flying Spit 14  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Flying Spit 14
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
yarbles  we can do this scenario if you want in the DA.   

I'll take the 14 and show you how to work the advantage and then punish the little  Japanese niki pilot.  ;).

I'm free friday  9-5. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
fly it like a 109. Keep it high and fast, energy tactics should work.

About the shortest and best answer yet.
Mk XIV, performance wise, is very similar to 109 K4. Just look up past threads about flying the K4 and you'll have your answer.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
About the shortest and best answer yet.
Mk XIV, performance wise, is very similar to 109 K4. Just look up past threads about flying the K4 and you'll have your answer.

Funny part of that the 14 cost perks and the K-4 is a higher free eny plane....hhhmmmm.  Me tinks sometink is wong here/ :noid :t :devil
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »
Funny part of that the 14 cost perks and the K-4 is a higher free eny plane....hhhmmmm.  Me tinks sometink is wong here/ :noid :t :devil

Well, as much as they are close in performance, they are very different animals when it comes to armament. Here, Mk XIV has significant advantage. Not because of lethality (K4's 30mm is very potent), but superior ballistics and fire rate.
As such, if only one of these two has to be perked, it should be Mk XIV (I'd have both perked similar to F4U-1C, but it's not up to me).

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
BaldEagl,

I think the N1K2-J is a signficantly better gunnery platform as well.  That isn't saying much as the Spitfire Mk XIV may be the single worst gunnery platform in the game.

2bighorn,

Neither the Bf109K-4 or Spitfire Mk XIV should be perked, IMO.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 07:54:26 PM »
It's all about speed fellas. Spit14 is perked because of speed. Its fast..really fast. One has to learn how to use this speed as an advantage. In a very fast plane you can control everything.

But if you just start turning it like a zeek or something really turny you loose all your advantages.

Speed has many other advantages other than continually "extending". The turn RATE not the turn radius is where the secret is.

In more simple terms why is a jet better than a prop plane. Why is it that the speed of a jet makes it a better plane OTHER THAN RUNNING AWAY.

And as 2bighorn stated it is similar to the K4 in many ways. If this is so which it is then one must learn to use the speed as an advantage and not as an "escape" tool.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »
The Spitfire MkXIV is actually slower than the 109K below 24k. And above that it's not much faster.
IMO the Spitfire MkXIV is also very hard to shoot with, because of the insane amount of torque, and the fact that the engine spins the opposite direction of most planes.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »
Why would you be low on the deck in a 14? The 16 should be at the nikis sort of alt and not a 14 surely?
Or you could just hop over from the darkside and fly 109's! (S)
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
That isn't saying much as the Spitfire Mk XIV may be the single worst gunnery platform in the game.

How so? At medium and high speeds it is very stable and solid gun platform. Those who are snap stalling it whilst pulling for a shot should learn how to unload Gs. 

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »
How so? At medium and high speeds it is very stable and solid gun platform. Those who are snap stalling it whilst pulling for a shot should learn how to unload Gs. 
I've had quite the opposite experience... I seem to be constantly fighting with it to make it point where I want, no matter what my speed/ AoA. And if I happen to have to adjust my throttle... well, I'm not hitting anything, that's for sure.

Perhaps it's because I use manual trim...

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »
Observation and question.

Observation: This stuff about how to patiently work the N1K with your E building superiority is all well and good, but the thing is, the banditry hardly ever consists of 1 N1K below you. Instead of 1v1 tactics, I think we could all use advice on hordeVhorde tactics.

So the question becomes, how do you manage the Spit14 in a hordeVhorde situation?

BTW Anax et al, y'all are completely wrong about unperking the Spit14. Unperk it, and it will become as annoying to those flying high and fast in any er, um, "non hyper-modeled ride"-109, 190, Mustang, Jug, P-38, etc-as the 16 is to those who get low and slow.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:27:09 PM by BnZ »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 11:47:05 PM »
BTW Anax et al, y'all are completely wrong about unperking the Spit14. Unperk it, and it will become as annoying to those flying high and fast in any er, um, "non hyper-modeled ride"-109, 190, Mustang, Jug, P-38, etc-as the 16 is to those who get low and slow.

Why not try it before we make that judgment?  I'd like to see the 14 unperked for a tour and then decide.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 01:21:35 AM »
Should be un perked. That way i could shoot more down

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 01:59:19 AM »
Why not try it before we make that judgment?  I'd like to see the 14 unperked for a tour and then decide.

Methinks those of you who say this vastly overestimate how difficult it is to kill with the 14 (unless your modus operandi is attempting to turn with N1Ks, Hurris, and other Spits-how come we never assume that 14 drivers will be smart enough to get a little alt and use their ride to force high bnz planes like the Mustang or Dora to "dive or die"?) on the deck, as well as the importance of performance above 10K.

Offline WinGZero

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 03:20:25 AM »
OK, guys, then I can learn more about fight with spit14 ;)

I can give you a advice as almost same as other advice, please keep alt and speed.
Don't turn near 2K from N1K. If you do any turn in 2K from N1K, I can have a chance to chase and hit you.
Don't climb straightly. Any plane which climb straightly is easy target for N1K. I can hit from D800.

Do your best and make a good fight!
 :salute