Author Topic: Something I thought of for the game  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
Something I thought of for the game
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:41 AM »
I wrote this post long ago in quest to think up new ideas for aces high, other day was talking about possibility of adding a Pak 40 anti tank gun -
Idea would be have a truck out of the VH - it mounts a Pak-40 and you can drop it anywhere on the map, but being a truck mount - it would be extremely quick and a single HE round direct hit around it would kill the gun. Basically only problem is being able to "enter" the gun itself - maybe bail out the truck and enter to join the gun. Would be nice idea but doubtful - instead I like the idea of having a duel purpose 88 on each field. Instead of having airfields with no puffy ack, the duel 88 could fire either at tanks coming near a field or in fact puffy ack for bombers over head.

One thing would be post it towards the general GV spawn era - only 1 gun however, basically the gun would provide anti tank for the field - and if bombers are over head act as a 5 inch gun to say, protecting the field - if nobody man's it - throws random single puffy ack in the air.

Im not quite sure about the sight on this, but probably use a 37mm ack gun setup - where you can zoom in if needed but use the 88's ranger or in fact just zoom out and throw random puff in the air.

I was just kicking this up on country channel other day and some thought it would be great edition - others stupid as we have "enough" ack aready - however the 88 would in a way eliminate 1 more auto ack on the field, but add more purpose in protecting a field from high bombers / GV's.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Something I thought of for the game
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:05:02 AM »
I think manned 88s at airfields would be a good idea. However if modeled historically accurate how effective could they really be? Because the reality was that the different German 88 guns were far better tank killers then they were AA pieces. And if modeled correctly you'd have to either set the ALT for detonation or set for impact. Against bombers flying 10k or higher how effective would this be? Especially since I usually have no problem flying 10k over CV groups utilizing 5" AA with proximity fuses.

Now a Yank 90mm with proximity fuses? Maybe different story. At the least you would force heavy bombers higher.

As it is the only airplane I have confidence in dive bombing alone into a medium/large airfield with all auto ack up? is the corsair. In the corsair I can usually get two passes in, if I keep vertical enough, to take out ords, and maybe can make it back to the CV. Its the way the corsair is damage modeled. But yes, generally the auto ack we have is pretty fierce as it is in the medium/large fields.

I'd like to see the 88 as an anti-tank gun. If it were modeled historically correct it wouldn't be very useful as an AA gun. Hitting a bomber flying 260 mph with a shell was not easy. Mostly they were used as pre-set auto-ack to detonate at a specific altitude. And even then you needed fields of the things for it to have impact.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »
Maybe we should put f18's in the game, then you could fly them in here just like you do in real life.   :lol
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:08:23 AM »
Maybe we should put f18's in the game, then you could fly them in here just like you do in real life.   :lol

it would be unfair to us f18-less simpletons

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

No, actually F-18s were little bit beyond World War 2, just for a history lesson hornets were drawn up in mid 70's - not Mid 40s which you might
be confused with.

Actually there were a few people asking for the Korean War era aircraft, for a different arena, I think adding world war 1 planes would be fun.
However I do not want a 4th generation aircraft game - if you think getting Ho'd with guns is bad enough, imagine someone unloading
a dozen Amraam's in your direction 35 miles out.

I would like to see Aces high for world war 1 though, I can see the various aircraft split into early, mid late war arenas.
Maybe the early war tanks also - not sure how thats going to work out since the maps would need to be extremely small for the slow speeds of
tanks and aircraft.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »
dood, if we get F-18s I want Cobra/Apache/Hind, and some SAM.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
I want a C.O.L.T. Combat Observation Lasing Team. Park on hill in the trees, mark the heavies rolling in and watch the Copperheads and Hellfires come out of no where. Just like real life. :rock

Offline abc123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »
Adonai, you've been here long enough to know the proper forum this goes to.
Tree: 73 Myself:  0

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
dood, if we get F-18s I want Cobra/Apache/Hind, and some SAM.

Yeah imagine 2K22 Tunguska instead of Wirbelwinds, pair of 30mm radar guided cannons, 8 or so 9M311 missiles
You'd get popped before you get within 10 miles of an enemy field, even if you manage to dodge the missiles you still
have the 30mm's to deal with.

If Tankers hate being being bombed in AH, imagine if an apache shows up on station over a spawn point.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
Omfg the though of me spawn camping a v base w/ an apache it's like instant orgaism in teh mind.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »
OK we got 3 guys making F-18 references "whatever that means" and one shade account lecturing you on where to put the thread.

Im outtahere.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
OK we got 3 guys making F-18 references "whatever that means" and one shade account lecturing you on where to put the thread.

Im outtahere.

The F/A-18 references are due to Adonai's telling everyone in game that he flies F/A-18s for the Marines. 

The reason for his creating this thread is to try and deflect some of the fall out of his lying about being a fighter pilot and nothing more.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »

I would like to see Aces high for world war 1

I would pay extra every month to have a WWI arena or two.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
don't you think the gv's have enough enemies to destroy them already. :salute
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.