Author Topic: Today’s auction finds (10-25-08)  (Read 325 times)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
Today’s auction finds (10-25-08)
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »
Howdy all! Not much at today’s auctions. But I did find a Roscoe Turner autograph. A neat little piece of aviation history.

And, a vintage ‘hooch’ maker! An old one-gallon crock jug with a crude airlock. (I just need to put a small jar of water at the end of the tube.)  Just in time for brewing up some hard apple cider!

I spent just 6 bucks for the pair. Now I’m off to buy some wine yeast and get started on the hooch.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Re: Today’s auction finds (10-25-08)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »
The Autograph is an awesome find.. WTG :)

Where the heck did you find it?

-GE aka Frank (never been to anythin but car auctions .. and rarely to those ..last time I went I got a '67 440 GTX for 500 bucks ..blowin smoke, rod knockin .. but I drove it home  .. was a project car I never finished :(
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
Re: Today’s auction finds (10-25-08)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »
It was just a normal household estate auction... Your regular stuff, dishes pots & pans, etc. When this auctioneer finds little things like an autograph or advertising pens and pencils, he puts them in a box and offers the high bidder choice of any one item from the box until it is all gone. I didn’t even see this picture, but a friend who was at the auction pointed it out and said, “Hey, you like airplane stuff don’t you?” So I won choice for a couple of bucks and plucked it out of there.

My house is decorated with all kinds of stuff from these sales. Including an 1864 Springfield musket and an 1873 Springfield trapdoor.

I keep what I really like, sell a little on ebay, so the hobby pays for itself… and I’ve donated a few items to museums.

As for the jug… It’s full of fresh squeezed apple cider, sugar and wine yeast… and it is chugging away.

CHEERS! (In about three months.)
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.