Author Topic: Got Ok For New System  (Read 1268 times)

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Re: Got Ok For New System
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
WTG Getback! As for the AMD Skuzzy no problems runs real nice. Overclocked to 3.0g and I understand how good Intel is.
See Rule #6

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
That Antec 900 is a very nice case for the bucks. I particularly like the top on/off switch. Also it has a ton of cooling fans.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
 :aok
Start with Intel E8500. I really like my abit board but there are a bunch out there. And you can't go wrong with a PC Power and Cooling power supply.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
I run Antec 900 and its a good case. If I were to do it all over again I would spend a little bit more and get a bigger case for this reason. The new video cards are huge and if you decide to go liquid cooled the 900 is a little tight.
See Rule #6

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 07:19:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good info and suggestions.  I've got a bit of reading to do, but now you've helped me narrow down my focus.  :salute

I Photoshop and do some movie making just as pastime, so I'll skip the quad-core in favor of dual-core (bang for the buck thing).  I've also got a 9x12 Wacom Intuos 2 tablet for my PS enjoyment.

I don't want to re-use much (if anything) of my current system, as I'll probably give it to someone in my family.  I'm impressed at what you guys found (including monitor) for $1500.

After I figure it all out and get the system built, I'll report back with the results.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good info and suggestions.  I've got a bit of reading to do, but now you've helped me narrow down my focus.  :salute

I Photoshop and do some movie making just as pastime, so I'll skip the quad-core in favor of dual-core (bang for the buck thing).  I've also got a 9x12 Wacom Intuos 2 tablet for my PS enjoyment.

I don't want to re-use much (if anything) of my current system, as I'll probably give it to someone in my family.  I'm impressed at what you guys found (including monitor) for $1500.

After I figure it all out and get the system built, I'll report back with the results.

I tell ya Imadot that Fulmar and Baldegle can post a system in short order and a very detailed one. WTG guys.

Good luck with the build Imadot. Keep us posted.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »
ImADot, I would suggest that you post your final parts selection here one last time for critique before pushing the buy button but it's up to you.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 11:52:37 PM »
IMADOT hold on. Aces High will work great on a quad core! Quad is supposed to be wave of the future. Unless you are playing games like crysis u may want to choose quad core. Just a suggestion. 2 years from now you may want to do movies, video streaming and 3d graphics. It sounds like you are building a computer for the long run. I am not suggesting that this is your answer. Just a thought.

If you want a computer for tomorrow with no upgrades quad core may be the way to go(some experts are saying this). With the price of the Q6660 and the Q8200 selling under $200(Thanks to AMD), it would not be a bad choice. 4 cores will scale about 20% higher than duo cores but in gaming duo cores perform up to 25% better. There are some categories that the quad cores out perform duo and some that duo will outperform quad. These quad cores are not brand new, they are proven to be nice processors.

GL
See Rule #6

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »
IMADOT hold on. Aces High will work great on a quad core! Quad is supposed to be wave of the future. Unless you are playing games like crysis u may want to choose quad core. Just a suggestion. 2 years from now you may want to do movies, video streaming and 3d graphics. It sounds like you are building a computer for the long run. I am not suggesting that this is your answer. Just a thought.

If you want a computer for tomorrow with no upgrades quad core may be the way to go(some experts are saying this). With the price of the Q6660 and the Q8200 selling under $200(Thanks to AMD), it would not be a bad choice. 4 cores will scale about 20% higher than duo cores but in gaming duo cores perform up to 25% better. There are some categories that the quad cores out perform duo and some that duo will outperform quad. These quad cores are not brand new, they are proven to be nice processors.

GL

In two years he'll already get a whole new computer with the latest bells and whistles. Besides upgrade to quad is just slapping in a new CPU and that's it.

I have 5 computers in the house and every two years I dump one to friends/parents and get a new gaming box.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 06:12:28 AM »
There are only a handful of applications which can make use of a quad core CPU.  Those applications still run better on a faster dual core CPU in most circumstances.

A quad core generates more heat as it uses more power.

There is just no good reason today, or tomorrow, to use a quad core CPU.  The architecture of the current computer systems, with single run memory buses, is a huge bottleneck to quad core CPU's.  Until that architecture changes, it is just a waste of money to buy a quad core CPU unless you are doing some very specific high end video and audio editing with some very specific software.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »
Dot the only thing I can add at this point is to at least comparison shop at www.mwave.com.

They have an "assemble and test" option for 9$. They will take the Motherboard, mount the cpu, & cooler, install the memory, and run it to make sure it all works. Then repack it and send it on to you ready to drop into a case.

This makes building a new system SO easy, and gives you tons of peace of mind. Cause you KNOW it was working.
(So if there is a problem you know to look elsewhere).

Also I've checked a couple of times and while Newegg may have lower prices on 1 or 2 things their higher shipping ended up costing more in the long run.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
Dot the only thing I can add at this point is to at least comparison shop at www.mwave.com.

They have an "assemble and test" option for 9$. They will take the Motherboard, mount the cpu, & cooler, install the memory, and run it to make sure it all works. Then repack it and send it on to you ready to drop into a case.

This makes building a new system SO easy, and gives you tons of peace of mind. Cause you KNOW it was working.
(So if there is a problem you know to look elsewhere).

Also I've checked a couple of times and while Newegg may have lower prices on 1 or 2 things their higher shipping ended up costing more in the long run.

Here they take it a step further and ship it back fully assembled and working for about the same money.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 08:30:57 AM »
Have mine clocked to 3.8 ghz. May take it to 4.0 for amusement purposes only.

Go on. You can do it 

tickticktickticktick
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 11:48:28 AM »
Skuzzy... You the man!!!! You are absoultely correct. I have been reading a lot about the quads but you never know one may pick up on doing things a quad may support better ...all I was saying and if a person was not a big time gamer quads are not all bad. My quad runs 30 deg. Aces High runs no problem for me(Actually runs perfect). No lag.. no screen stutter.. Nothing.Thanks. MrRip we all don't have 5 computers at home...LOL... wish I did. The quad core did bench much better in many categories like I said and lower in others.

We shouldn’t forget that most upcoming applications and games are being designed with multi-threading in mind. That is why Core 2 Quad may be a more promising solution even if used in its nominal mode.

The overclocking potential of the Core 2 Quad Q6600 (and beyond) processor based on the new G0 core stepping is quite sufficient to help it compete successfully in almost any applications.

See Rule #6

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 03:33:13 AM »
Here is a quote from a New game coming out soon on testing:

These results are as clear cut as they can be; the Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700 with all four cores enabled provides the best gameplay experience. We found Supreme Commander playable at 1600x1200 with 16X AF and all in-game settings at their highest levels with quad-core. Anisotropic filtering overall makes little visual quality difference in this game. The only image quality improvements with AF were when we were zoomed all the way in. Some terrain was sharper as you looked toward the top of your screen. However, you do not play this game all the way zoomed in. In this game you are zooming in and out frequently with most of your time is spent zoomed out where AF makes no impact at all. AF does not cause a performance hit however so you can leave it enabled without worrying about it bringing down your framerates.

When we disabled two of the cores and were left with a dual-core CPU we found performance to suffer greatly. We had to lower the resolution to 1280x1204 and lower most quality settings. We had to turn the fidelity down to “medium” which decreased the rendering quality of the entire game. We noticed that the textures looked less detailed, the objects and meshes were less detailed and there was less geometry. We also had to turn off shadow fidelity which meant no shadows were cast from any object or unit. Texture detail and level of detail also had to be decreased to their lowest settings which reduced texture detail further and we experienced less detail as we zoomed out of the map.

The single-core performance was simply dismal and unplayable, period. We have the game set at the absolute lowest settings possible, 1027x768 with everything as low as it will go in the graphics menu of the game, yet, it is still unplayable. 1024x768 is the lowest resolution supported in the game. We are averaging a pitiful 10 FPS. If you look at the graph the single-core performance (red line) is mostly between 5 and 10 FPS, this is entirely unplayable in Supreme Commander.

There are many games planned to be released in the next year that duo and quad cores will be neccesary. Single coes will not hack it. With the edition of SLI and higher fsb speeds it seems the "bottleneck" thing some talk about is gone.

All I am saying is that if you plan to build a new computer, the talk is quad may be the way to go if you plan on having it for a while. Some of us cannot afford to upgrade to a quad processor or build a new computer in 1 to 2 years. Technology will change and in 2 years and a simple upgrade on processor may mean a new motherboard and upgrades in hardware. The developers of the newer games(due out in the next year) are saying the games are performing better with quad cores. There is not much information to look at but it seems they are definitely testing and it looks good. Forget the bottleneck.

The big thing some of the testers are writing up is the cost have gone down so drammatically, it is definitely worth going quad. The tests do show duo cores are 30% faster in current games but the future will tell.

Now I posted the Intel quad info. The AMD quads are getting very nice reviews(AMD fan!)

See Rule #6