Author Topic: P-40  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-40
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 12:49:49 PM »
One thing I think that gets old for the British is the common claim by uneducated Americans that the British would not have won the Battle of Britain without US support via Lend Lease.  Lend Lease did not happen until 1941, well after the Battle of Britain.  The US was not gung ho to support a nation that we thought was likely to be overrun by the Germans.  It is more complex than that obviously, but I don't feel like typing a paper.   :P

Most people here don't make those kinds of claims, but man oh man are youtube video comments full of them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
I love talking with all these WW2 aircraft buffs. Bubi thanks for the info, you know alot of nice little facts
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
The P40F and L and maybe others (I'm no expert on the P40) had a Packard-Merlin.
You can clearly see it in this picture (note lack of the airscoop on top that characterizes the Allison equipped versions)

How about that.  Thanks, Bubi, something new learned every day.

- oldman

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »
One thing I think that gets old for the British is the common claim by uneducated Americans that the British would not have won the Battle of Britain without US support via Lend Lease.  Lend Lease did not happen until 1941, well after the Battle of Britain.  The US was not gung ho to support a nation that we thought was likely to be overrun by the Germans.  It is more complex than that obviously, but I don't feel like typing a paper.   :P

Most people here don't make those kinds of claims, but man oh man are youtube video comments full of them.

good thing we did help you, otherwise you'd be listening to oompa music and wearing lederhosen!  :lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »
good thing we did help you, otherwise you'd be listening to oompa music and wearing lederhosen!  :lol
FYI, I'm an American.  No way the Germans or Japanese every could have invaded my country successfully.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
NI thought you were a brit too Karnak. What do you think about the Mossie in this game? undermodeled no?
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »
FYI, I'm an American.  No way the Germans or Japanese every could have invaded my country successfully.

Well the germans did to a good job bombing pearl harbor.  :aok
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:34 AM »
NI thought you were a brit too Karnak. What do you think about the Mossie in this game? undermodeled no?
Modeled pretty accurately with the dampers on.

There are issues about the modeling of cruise speeds that cause other aircraft in its class to seem more competitive than they were.  MIL power was not the normal flight power level and Mossies cruised much faster than other strike aircraft/heavy fighters/light-medium bombers.

I would very much like to see it redone without the flame dampers.  I'd expect a 10-15mph gain from that.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »
Modeled pretty accurately with the dampers on.

There are issues about the modeling of cruise speeds that cause other aircraft in its class to seem more competitive than they were.  MIL power was not the normal flight power level and Mossies cruised much faster than other strike aircraft/heavy fighters/light-medium bombers.

I would very much like to see it redone without the flame dampers.  I'd expect a 10-15mph gain from that.
I keep on hearing that Mosquito was the fastest prop plane in the war.  Why does it seem that in AHII that it's not?