Author Topic: Frustrating Spitfires  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Frustrating Spitfires
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
The Spitfire hard to land?? I find the F4U even harder!! Can never land it without it turning right on its own, and I tear the gears off.  :o

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
The Ta152 is the hardest... :noid

Offline devild0gs

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
xD After 3 years of playing I kinda skipped the landing's part. The only thing I need 2 land cporrectly are cv's other than that if I am in a spit and landing and know that I am gonna tip it, I like to use rudder to break the gears so that I slide back onto the concrete. Been doing it like that for a while now. I seriously need 2 work on landings now that I am back from a loooooong AH break

Offline sidey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
lol "landing"  do people really bother to land  :D
~~RAW PRAWNS~~

"No Thrills for the Cautious"

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
The Spitfire hard to land?? I find the F4U even harder!! Can never land it without it turning right on its own, and I tear the gears off.  :o
I found that the F4U is the hardest plane to land hands down with gear. The only way to beat the hard F4U landing is, you have to be at a step ahead of it. What I mean is, you have to see what its doing, and use aeiloron and rudder, to steer the plane around. Yes, aeilorons work on the ground, it pushes the plane to one side more than the other.
The only thing is, it only works 7 outa 10 times, the other three, you rip the gear or half a wing off.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 06:11:23 PM »
There's too different approaches to successfully landing the F4U:

The first is to come in slow, right at stall speed and get all three wheels down at once. Keep back-pressure on the stick to lock the tailwheel, and use rudder and differential braking to keep her straight.

On a faster approach keep her on two wheels and use rudder and a little bit of brake to keep her lined up until she's slow enough to get the tail wheel down and lock it. Then proceed as above.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.