Author Topic: VF-17 Jolly Rogers needs HOG Pilots, others also welcomed!  (Read 8387 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: VF-17 Jolly Rogers needs HOG Pilots, others also welcomed!
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Accept no substitute!

Real men fly radials!

Purty F4U4, F4U4C perhaps? Or maybe an F2G (one of those F1 or F2 types, unaware of the Actual name)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
If it's the one that was at the Houston airshow it's a F4U-5

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:34 AM »
Yep, that's the one.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 06:09:11 AM »
VF17 F6F lookin pretty purty right 'bout now.... can't wait for it to be in game.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:51 AM »
I actually came across a picture of an VF-17 F4U-4, only problem is i think it's post war. Says "The Bones made a full comeback by the very end of WWII, when VF-17 converted to the Vought F4U-4 Corsair, flying from the new USS Midway." Midway missed WWII by 2 weeks.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
You might want to check that out some more, as I believe "Claimjumpers" use 114, but it might not be their main channel.

go figure, Squad vox wasn't working that day so me and Lagger used it. I'll ask someone from that squad if that's there's thanks.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »
Found this as eery and kind of moving about the VF-17...

The history of the Jolly Rogers at this point is a bit fuzzy, with many saying the squadron transferred over to form the new VF-84 on Bunker Hill. It is true that many members of the former squadron were assigned to this new squadron (including its new CO, Roger Hedrick), but according to the Navy's records, the Jolly Rogers name and traditions were passed to VF-5B in 1946, which subsequently became VF-61 on April 28, 1948. Also unclear is the timing of the legend of ENS Jack Ernie. Ernie, a new pilot to the Jolly Rogers, was shot down in combat during the invasion of Okinawa. On his last transmission to his skipper, Ernie said, "… remember me with the Jolly Rogers." After his remains were recovered, his family presented his skull and femur bones, mounted in a glass case, to the men of the Jolly Rogers as a living symbol and tradition of the squadron. Now, before every new commander takes over the Jolly Rogers squadron, there is a ceremony, called "The Passing of the Bones," where the remains of ENS Jack Ernie are passed from the old skipper to the new one. Though this story is said to be true, there are a few discrepancies. It is unclear to which squadron Ernie was a member of - VF-17, VF-84, VF-61, or another squadron. In Tommy Blackburn's book, The Jolly Rogers, he recounts the exploits of his squadron's tour of duty, the original VF-17. Nowhere in his book does Blackburn, the CO of VF-17, mention a word about ENS Jack Ernie, nor was he listed on the squadron roster. VF-17 was disestablished before the invasion of Okinawa (1945), anyway, so Ernie seems unlikely to have flown with Fighting 17. This leads me to believe that Ernie was flying with another squadron at the time of his demise, probably before VF-61 became the Jolly Rogers, but after VF-17 was disestablished. That leaves either VF-84, which was not a Jolly Roger squadron, or another Navy squadron of the time. The legend and mystery continue…

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »
Got a new member today, 1sum41. welcome to the mayhem. :salute

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
Found this as eery and kind of moving about the VF-17...

(Image removed from quote.)

The history of the Jolly Rogers at this point is a bit fuzzy, with many saying the squadron transferred over to form the new VF-84 on Bunker Hill. It is true that many members of the former squadron were assigned to this new squadron (including its new CO, Roger Hedrick), but according to the Navy's records, the Jolly Rogers name and traditions were passed to VF-5B in 1946, which subsequently became VF-61 on April 28, 1948. Also unclear is the timing of the legend of ENS Jack Ernie. Ernie, a new pilot to the Jolly Rogers, was shot down in combat during the invasion of Okinawa. On his last transmission to his skipper, Ernie said, "… remember me with the Jolly Rogers." After his remains were recovered, his family presented his skull and femur bones, mounted in a glass case, to the men of the Jolly Rogers as a living symbol and tradition of the squadron. Now, before every new commander takes over the Jolly Rogers squadron, there is a ceremony, called "The Passing of the Bones," where the remains of ENS Jack Ernie are passed from the old skipper to the new one. Though this story is said to be true, there are a few discrepancies. It is unclear to which squadron Ernie was a member of - VF-17, VF-84, VF-61, or another squadron. In Tommy Blackburn's book, The Jolly Rogers, he recounts the exploits of his squadron's tour of duty, the original VF-17. Nowhere in his book does Blackburn, the CO of VF-17, mention a word about ENS Jack Ernie, nor was he listed on the squadron roster. VF-17 was disestablished before the invasion of Okinawa (1945), anyway, so Ernie seems unlikely to have flown with Fighting 17. This leads me to believe that Ernie was flying with another squadron at the time of his demise, probably before VF-61 became the Jolly Rogers, but after VF-17 was disestablished. That leaves either VF-84, which was not a Jolly Roger squadron, or another Navy squadron of the time. The legend and mystery continue…

Freaky... I like it :)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:43:38 AM by RATTFINK »
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
LOL, that would make a cool shirt

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
:rock :rock :rock

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
Happy New Year VF-17!

Can you guys use this pic?

~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »
I can use it for my background here at home. Thanks ODEE!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
I can use it for my background here at home. Thanks ODEE!
Oh if you think that's nice, try this on for size.

Old squad mate from the 4th FG in WB is an artist extraordinaire. 
http://www.auroraartcompany.com/
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/