Author Topic: MG damage effects  (Read 130 times)

Sorrow[S=A]

MG damage effects
« on: July 03, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
Just a point of note here:

Yesterday while in an M3 I was quite puzzled by how little the MG damage planes. I admit- it's a peashooter but there was a B-26 buzzing me and I opened up on it from 200 yds or less for 4 passes. All my fire was concentrated on his engine, first left than right. And I never even tickled him. I found this quite odd, concentrated fire on an engine SHOULD have engine damage at least shouldn't it? I mean I saw about 150 pings between the two engines...

Anyone know exactly what it takes to knock out a rad of an attacker with 7.92?

Offline Major Tom

• Zinc Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2000, 05:35:00 PM »
When flying the Fw.190A-5 I once unloaded my entire MG ammo supply into a B-26.  Not even a puff of smoke.  And about 3/4ths of the ammo landed smack dab on the bomber.

Not even a puff of smoke or a dislodged control surface!

Though I must admit once I was facing a rather average 190 pilot that got the better of me while in a P-47.  He expended all his cannon ammo, only one shell hit me, then the Fw.190 went to work with the MG's.

It was a pathetic site indeed, at least half his ammo hit me (200+ rounds!) and he eventually ran out and was jumped by some friendlies.

I hate it more when they seemingly hit your aircraft with 2 critical MG rounds and something blows off.

I've come to the conclusion that MG's suck, stick with cannons for bomber and fighter engagements.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2000, 06:56:00 AM »
Starting with version 1.02, Buffs became flying tanks. A gameplay concession, I understand, but not something I like much.

Personally, I don't even think about attacking bombers with a MG armed plane because it is suicide.

This is "CannonBirds" right?  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

MG damage effects
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
I don't know, I've had many b-17's cut to ribbons by machineguns.  I do have admitt that the b-26 is a little tougher it would seem, though by no means invunerable.  Just after this version was released, I wanted to see the 88mm ack, so I took a B-17 deep into enemy airspace and was jumped by a lone P-51.  I though that it was not much of a threat as I manned the guns, but in the first slashing pass, I lost 2 engines and a rudder, and the second pass removed a wing.
Also, I have many kills with the Panzer's co-ax and AA machine guns.

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2000, 02:39:00 AM »
Unlike the cannons you have to get repeated hits on one area of the plane to do damage with MGs.  Many times when flying the p51 and p47 I've blasted someone from one wingtip to the other without really hurting him.  (Kind of what should be expected really.)  I often attack bombers with p47s and p51s without too much trouble.  The trick is to get close and concentrate your fire on their weakest point, the rudder and tail.  (8 50s will slice a tail off in a single pass no problem.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2000, 04:16:00 AM »
Hi all,

love buff hunting with pony.
Although it takes normaly 2- 4 passes i'm very confident with the results.

blitz

btw. Never open fire above 500 yards

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2000, 05:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sorrow[S=A]:
Just a point of note here:

Yesterday while in an M3 I was quite puzzled by how little the MG damage planes. I admit- it's a peashooter but there was a B-26 buzzing me and I opened up on it from 200 yds or less for 4 passes. All my fire was concentrated on his engine, first left than right. And I never even tickled him. I found this quite odd, concentrated fire on an engine SHOULD have engine damage at least shouldn't it? I mean I saw about 150 pings between the two engines...

Anyone know exactly what it takes to knock out a rad of an attacker with 7.92?

I was just yesterday having fun over M3 after emptied nose gun into panzers back (+500 hits for sure) and then I went to have fun with M3 halftrack with the nose gun and tail gun.
(I think I did stop that halftrack by shooting its suspension)
Also, I lost my another engine :I

Do you happen to be rook?  

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
MG damage effects
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2000, 05:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by blitz:
Hi all,

love buff hunting with pony.
Although it takes normaly 2- 4 passes i'm very confident with the results.

blitz

btw. Never open fire above 500 yards

2-4 passes? man, I've downed B-17s all the time with one pass, even in yak and 109.
How about you try to concentrate fire next time?  

Sorrow[S=A]

MG damage effects
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2000, 10:08:00 PM »
Nope knight  

It was wierd tho- I was stunned when I couldn't pop his rad on either engine, I wonder if the oil and rad damage areas are further back as head on hits to the engine and prop maybe can't reach them? I assume a BB gun like the M3's has no armor penetration.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
MG damage effects
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
Correct Fishu,
  Concentrate fire, that's the key with MG's, and you can take down anything.  I've de-winged B17's with a Spit5 and only .303's  You need to remember your convergence and get a nice long stream of bullets into the same place.  You can't be dancing around avoiding return fire and snapping shots off like you can with a cannon.

P51 drivers a good at this, keeping the crosshairs focused on one point and sawing pieces off...  gentle hands and planning your shots.

Soda