Author Topic: Cable Management  (Read 1812 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Cable Management
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
I see some of you guys still have IDE hd and cd/dvds.  I easy way to add airflow is to separate your IDE data cable.  Its easy to do.  Turn off machine and power off the board.  Remove the ribbon cable, with your finger nail and some pressure in the middle of the cable (about 1/4 inch from the side) separate the cable, repeat until your all the way across. (about 1/4 inch from the side), now twist the cable until it has made a cylinder.   Re-install.   Violia instant airflow.

Will look like this when done.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
Rounded ide cables are also available cheap and they look prettyer than that!  :D

Sata is the way to go anyway.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
Had any lead breakage doing that?
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »
Rounded ide cables are also available cheap and they look prettyer than that!  :D

Sata is the way to go anyway.

Agreed check out my two boxes posted here and a third will be up maybe Sunday.  Complete H20 system (CPU, MB, HD, Mosfet's, Memory, GPU's) everything in the box except the power supply and the blu-rays.  I didnt want to shell out 500 for a water cooled PS since my TT 1200 is new

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
Lucky for you guys, unfortunately I live in a house with an old coal furnace so dust in my computer is always a battle. Thankfully I do have an air compressor in the garage that cleans everything out like a charm.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
I used those Pl*%ge Grab-Its, taped over the intakes, but it just gets too damn hot.

Now I just blow it out every week.  Dry air can on one side, vacuum out the other.

Keeps the dust from flying all over the room.
What you need are high RPM fans for more airflow!  I bought some off Newegg to replace my stock ones in my case.  IIRC the stock ones ran about 1100 RPMs for the 120mm's.  The ones I ordered (2) were rated at 2200 RPMs.  Yup, I could now hear my computer from another room.  Eventually I hooked up the new fans to the chasis fan connectors on my motherboard and turned on the Asus Q-Chasis fan feature in the bios.  The motherboard adjusts the fan speed based on the mobo temp.  I have no control of it but it is much quiete.  They run about 1300-1400 RPMs now which moves a good amount of air.  When at full blast, I can only image it was a mini-tornado inside my case.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
Had any lead breakage doing that?

I used to do it all the time before round IDE and SATA came out.  To answer your question no I have not to date (knocks on head), but again your using your thumbnail and not a knife, razor, hacksaw, chainsaw.  Its a matter or just getting it started then separate like an electrical cord.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Excellent post Karaya. I am motivated to clean mine up.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
What you need are high RPM fans for more airflow!  I bought some off Newegg to replace my stock ones in my case.  IIRC the stock ones ran about 1100 RPMs for the 120mm's.  The ones I ordered (2) were rated at 2200 RPMs.  Yup, I could now hear my computer from another room.  Eventually I hooked up the new fans to the chasis fan connectors on my motherboard and turned on the Asus Q-Chasis fan feature in the bios.  The motherboard adjusts the fan speed based on the mobo temp.  I have no control of it but it is much quiete.  They run about 1300-1400 RPMs now which moves a good amount of air.  When at full blast, I can only image it was a mini-tornado inside my case.

I use Enermax fans a lot and they are whisper quiet and move tons of air.  The blade pops out for easy cleaning and they are bearingless.
http://www.enermaxusa.com/fan.php

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
This is my very clean managed box:

Ok I didnt manage the cables at all but hey at least I have a badass 16" fan blowing 250cfm air on it!!
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 05:42:57 PM »
I use Enermax fans a lot and they are whisper quiet and move tons of air.  The blade pops out for easy cleaning and they are bearingless.
http://www.enermaxusa.com/fan.php
I was on the cheap, I think the fans I bought were $4-5
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »
Actually, I use ribbons (IDE) the way they should be used.   Creased them at an angle and hugged the HD bay upright and bottom of the case.  They worked 100% afterwards and they increase airflow.

Getback, thank you for your compliment.   It's not too often compliments are shared on these boards, it's a good start to the weekend to boot.   Hopefully, this can be a "new beginning for this BBS."   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »
Actually, I use ribbons (IDE) the way they should be used.   Creased them at an angle and hugged the HD bay upright and bottom of the case.  They worked 100% afterwards and they increase airflow.

Getback, thank you for your compliment.   It's not too often compliments are shared on these boards, it's a good start to the weekend to boot.   Hopefully, this can be a "new beginning for this BBS."   

Yep yep btw WTF MrRiplEy[H]  :devil

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 03:39:59 AM »
Yep yep btw WTF MrRiplEy[H]  :devil

What do you mean? It's not easy to get all the cables required for raid10 sorted. With the 16" fan there's plenty of airflow regardless. I have 250cfm where your typical 90mm case fan blows 20cfm unobstructed.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
90mm fan moving 20cfm?  What fans you looking at?  I see most fans moving air in excess of 100cfm in sizes 80mm and up.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"