Author Topic: Need some help here!  (Read 1609 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Re: Need some help here!
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Never saw where it said he waited, just saying you guys can ease up on him.  Let the cards fall where they may because no child is left behind....right?  Right!

Normal phase is what phase the material is in at room temperature which is around 72 degrees fahrenheit if I remember correctly. Now you know.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
I knew 3 pages back. Everything else is everyone calling me stupid. :lol

(when the class average is failing, and I'm passing, I'm pretty damn proud of myself)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2008, 11:39:12 PM »
I knew 3 pages back. Everything else is everyone calling me stupid. :lol

(when the class average is failing, and I'm passing, I'm pretty damn proud of myself)

We are not calling you stupid, just giving you a little needed encouragement to read the book or do some research for yourself. I don't know for a fact if this is in your text book... although I'd bet it is without even seeing what book you have, because in your very first post you say "it talks about its normal phase" in which "it" must be your book, right? But this is basic stuff that you should be learning how to research anyway, even if its not in your book, that's a big part of research papers you know?

If you type in the three words 'normal, phase, and element' into the google machine, literally the very first result tells you that "normal phase" is what phase the element is in at room temperature. If you look at the table of elements you see Iridium is a metal in which you could reasonably deduct that it would be solid at room temperature. Furthermore, if you go to webelements.com (one of the websites you said you used) and click on Iridium it says "standard state: solid...". Were you thrown off by terminology, state vs phase, or did you simply not read this far?

The bottom line is you could have spent just as much time doing the research yourself as you did making your first post. The difference is research would require thinking and reasoning, while making your first post is basically asking for the answer. Hopefully before college (where you won't be worrying about how many kids in your class are passing) you'll learn that teachers/professors don't necessarily care what the final result of a certain project is, the important part is how you got there. Or to put it another way; you won't remember all the specific details of Iridium in 10 years, but the skills you learned by researching it and learning about it now will last you for the rest of your life. The cliche is very true: asking for the answers is only cheating yourself. Sometimes it takes actually paying for your education before some people realize this.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:05:32 AM by AKHog »
The journey is the destination.