Author Topic: Video card problems????  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Video card problems????
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 07:36:13 AM »
I just tried to play and the problem is back.  I know it's not a heat issue because I just fired up the computer and I can feel it's not hot.  Server issue again? 

Just FYI, the server has nothing to do with the computer's local frame rate.  The frame rate can drop to zero if the computer cannot satisfy a network request.  If your 'Variance' is bouncing all over the place, then it is something taking your computer's CPU away from the game.  It can be a ton of things.

With an HP computer, they have so many background processes running it can be a dozen things causing this.  It could be you inherited an IP address from some bit torrent user and your connection is getting hammered with requests.  That issue can take up to 3 days to calm down.  It could also only take a few hours.

If you are running an anti-virus program or some anti-spyware program (Spybot has a version which will cause all kinds of problems with the game) while trying to play the game, then all bets are off.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
Stop with the RivaTuner... act like its a cure all of Video Cards.  Since this is an nVidia driven card look in your control panel for NVIDIA Control Panel.  If you never used it choose Advanced when you start it, you can check you GPU temps there to compair if it is overheating.  If so you can turn your fan up there.  If this is not the problem you can try an older flavor of the drivers.  Some dont like using the nVidia drivers right from the site (I Do) opposed to the builders site.  nVidia maintains some older drivers.  If you do try older drivers, go to Control Panel, and remove the old drivers from the Program Files, when you click to uninstall an nvidia driver its asks what you want to uninstall choose Video Drivers, then install the one (older) and reboot.  Confirm your using the older driver.

You forgot one very important part of this process and that is to run a driver cleaner to remove any leftovers from the previous install and a registry cleaner.  You just gotta get all the stuff that winblows is not capable of removing on it's own out of the picture and then install the older driver.

All the Best...

Jay
  awDoc1

PS.. When I was running Nvidia cards up to the 7800GT OC flavor, I found that Omegadrivers were the most stable.  Get them at www.omegadrivers.net
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 10:19:15 AM »
If you are running an anti-virus program or some anti-spyware program (Spybot has a version which will cause all kinds of problems with the game) while trying to play the game, then all bets are off.

Do you mean just plain ol' Spybot, or the TeaTimer that it keeps open?  Just curious since I have TeaTimer open all the time, and have no troubles.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »
I noticed your NVidia driver is over two years old, so try updating that.  It does sound like an overheating issue, and 2 years is about that mark when so much dust will build up around your fans and heat sinks that it causes problems.  I noticed you mentioned something about dust in your power supply, but that shouldn't be causing the issues you're having (but stranger things have happened with computers, and its good to clean it up so dust doesn't travel to more critical components).

Check inside your computer's case, clean the the fans and heat sinks over the CPU and graphics card processor.  Take a can of dust-off (compressed air in a can) or a gentle dry rag and remove all the dust bunnies, if your not too sensitive, give them a good blow too (note: dust will likely fly back in your face).

If that doesn't work, then it could be as Skuzzy mentioned, where there are too many little processes running in the background while it's running the game (causing the computer to work too hard and overheat via being overworked).  If this is the case, then you can get some good freeware to help you clean up and bring under control that problem. http://www.alacritypc.com is a good one for managing the processes on your computer (not cleaning up or repair, which is a good thing to look into doing first), it can be a little complex but is fairly explanatory about each item you choose to enable/disable while running the game.  The program essentialy stops anything running on your computer that you don't need/want when you opt to play the game.  When you quit the game, it will then restart the processes it stopped or only the ones you want to run while your game isn't running.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:51:58 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
You need to get a monitor to measure your graphics card temps. Get PCwizard. Its free and will measure GPU temps. Get GPU temps 1st.  Rivatuner is a great tool for Nvidea cards that most gamers use!(Forget Tildeath's reply :rofl) You can turn up fan speed from Rivatuner. Get temps and post them. If this does not work, Skuzzy(Santa) da man. Tildeath is on a mission that most cannot figure.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/397-riva-tuner.html

Quote from Skuzzy which I suggested earlier(processes)

With an HP computer, they have so many background processes running it can be a dozen things causing this.  It could be you inherited an IP address from some bit torrent user and your connection is getting hammered with requests.  That issue can take up to 3 days to calm down.  It could also only take a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:33:39 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Just FYI, the server has nothing to do with the computer's local frame rate.  The frame rate can drop to zero if the computer cannot satisfy a network request.  If your 'Variance' is bouncing all over the place, then it is something taking your computer's CPU away from the game.  It can be a ton of things.

Ok well that's fine and dandy.  I have 24 processes running during game play.  It is not over heating.  I have a very good ping rate.  Have no anti-virus programs runing.  And untill recently have never had this problem.  It happens at different times of day with no "AH HA" thing to point at!  I have been running the same drivers for the video card with no problems for over 2 years.  Something has changed on my end or HTC's.  I played with no problems during TT and today I can't play at all in blue.  Going to try orange..i'll report my results.

Update:  Just ran pingplotter and was getting some packet loss in the level 3's going though Chicago and also at the 2 IP addresses for the game.  206.16.60.39 and 206.16.60.38 so tell me again there is no problem on your end!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:38:03 PM by stroker71 »
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
Care to explain.  It just happens every once in a while.  99% of the time the game runs fine.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
Skuzzy will analyze ping plotter.....New to me. Don't know if ping slows frame rate but if it does  I would bet its your level 3. Let the Skuzzmiester letcha know.
See Rule #6

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »
OK this problem has come back. 
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Older Nvidia cards (such as my standby 420 MX (crap)) won't do well with newer nivida drivers. I think the cut off for those cards.

When I had my 6800 GT running I used driver from here.. http://www.tweakforce.com/. These are third party drivers that *seemed* be be a little faster and more options.

Just FYI

Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
To my 'much less intelligent' viewpoint than Skuzzy's , when Embarq hands you off to Level3 at hop 5 it doesn't hand off well and you occasionally loose a packet. Need more than 5 samples though. When it happens, start a pingplot and go into game and run it for 15-20 minutes. That should be a good sized sample.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54