Author Topic: Soundblaster 5.1  (Read 442 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Soundblaster 5.1
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
Can anybody shed some light for me please. I introduced this to my system a few weeks ago and have since had trouble with where the sounds are coming from, directly front and back plan and simple. It seems to be though, that the other angles are in some way inverted if that is at all possible, as in I hear an A/C at my  5 Oclock high, I look in the direction and no they are not there, they are probably about three Oclock and not so high angling around behind me. This is very frustrating when you are in a turn fight and blacking out and listening to where it is you want to postition yourself. I have not tried any other setting other than headphone so perhaps I should, how ever when I was using the generic sound card/component this was not an issue and so sound has become an important tool in this game for me. Any Ideas .....Anyone.....

Offline Blue

• Zinc Member
Re: Soundblaster 5.1
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Try looking in your sound card options for setting the 'depth' of the headphone sound IE: closer or farther from your head.  there should be an actual graphic of your head and you can 'drag' the depth of sound inwards and outwards or away and closer to that head.  changing this setup will change the angle of direction a couple of degrees.

You should find it in the advane settings/calibration section.  I suggest doing the calibration wizard for surround and headphones. It will better center the sound and eliminate uneven sounding from front to back,left to right. and tell you if you have the cables in the right spots.

Good luck. <S>

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »
cool, cheers blue. I will give that a go.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:21:21 PM »
Also check speaker channels if they are correct. Such as RT front, Lft front, center and so on, if your experiencing sound from different directions than you would expect. You can check that in set up console view.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
Use the channel test in the audio config.

**Edit** in the creative control panel.  There's a utility that has a birds eye view of your system.  Cool thing about this is if you have one set of speakers that's weaker then the others, you can tune your "center" around which the sound is based to compensate.   Sounds like you crossed your wires on your speakers or something.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:28:13 AM by Rebel »
"You rebel scum"

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
This poster had a similar problem.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,251207.0.html

It looks like it was a driver issue in his case.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
cheers for the input guys, found and unchecked a box called CMSS..... from what I gather it creates sound mixes for a better surround sound and when it is through the headphones it obviously tried to compensate for lack of speakers. Music sounds good but it definitely not good when you require pointed sound direction. So thanks again people.