Author Topic: Blackout or Stall?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Sprayall

• Zinc Member
Blackout or Stall?
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:15:10 AM »
I've been flying CFS1 for years (@ 100% difficulty), and have just downloaded AHII.  No problem with landing or T/O.  My big problem is getting an angle on someone without blacking out-full black screen-constantly!  When I drop the throttle to get inside, I'm stalling.  I don't have combat trim enabled, no stall limiter.  I'm thinking I have something setup incorrectly as this is drastically different than any other sim I've flown before.  I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro-not the best but it's been working out just fine.  Please Help. Thanks in Advance.
Also, I'm wondering if any of you ever set up an IP game as opposed to paying the monthly fee.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Blackout or Stall?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:23:14 AM »
I would suggest you look at your stick scaling.

Go into controllers, check the advanced box and click on your elevator function.

in the window that opens out when you click advanced, enable scaling and adjust the sliders to dampen down the amount of stick force your applying.  To much stick force when your going to fast is causing the black out.

There used to be a free 8 player online function but it was abused and closed.  You have 2 weeks online free then it is the very small sum of $15 a month.  That works out at around £2 pound a week which is nothing for hours of entertainment.

You can't get this many online players anywhere else and nothing beats outsmarting other HUMAN players.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »
Your either turning too hard, or your stick is set too sensitive. If your enemy is turning at 300 knots in a 3000 foot circle and you try doing the same turn in 2000 foot circle yes you are going to black out. Use a high yo-yo to burn "E and then regain it as you come back down on the enemies tail.

If your "heavy handed" with the stick and yank it hard all the time then you will either have to learn to ease off a bit more, or scale your stick as Bruv suggested.

There are no more "free 8-player arenas" due to abuse by some. HTC is hoping to bring them back, but it will be only for those with subscriptions.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
Should he be leaving combat trim enabled?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
I leave combat trim enabled most of the time - until I think I'll need to extend flaps or land.  Having combat trim on helps to not have to constantly fight the stick to keep flying under control, as it automatically adjusts trim settings to try to keep you trimmed for neutral control inputs.  It is not perfect, nor is it instant, but in most situations it's better than doing it manually - especially in the ever-changing throttle/AOA environment of combat.  Combat trim doesn't work particularly well at really high or really low speeds, so consider that as the situation dictates.

Some people believe turning off combat trim gives them an advantage in turn-fighting...that might be true.  I've noticed a slight difference when I get the plane trimmed just before enter the fight and then turning off combat trim during the fight (unless I get way outside the envelope and need to quickly re-trim the aircraft).
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:19:14 PM »
I've been flying CFS1 for years (@ 100% difficulty), and have just downloaded AHII.  No problem with landing or T/O.  My big problem is getting an angle on someone without blacking out-full black screen-constantly!  When I drop the throttle to get inside, I'm stalling.  I don't have combat trim enabled, no stall limiter.  I'm thinking I have something setup incorrectly as this is drastically different than any other sim I've flown before.  I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro-not the best but it's been working out just fine.  Please Help. Thanks in Advance.
Also, I'm wondering if any of you ever set up an IP game as opposed to paying the monthly fee.

It is possible that your stick may need scaling setup so that you'll have an easier time precisely finding and holding the edge of controled flight.  You can see suggestions for stick scale setting in this thread

My first instinct though is that you may not be using the optimum pursuit mode for a given situation.

Here is a figure projecting flight paths if the trail plane tries to follow in pure pursuit.

The first 90 degrees of the trail planes turn will have to incresingly tighten to stay in pure pursuit.  Once approaching the flight path overshoot, indicated by the red circle, the trail plane cannot turn tight enough to stay in pursuit, and will black or stall trying to stubornly do so.

This second figure is the same film advanced 6 seconds.  What the trail plane did was use lag pursuit.

By using lag pursuit, the trail plane began his turn at nearly the same point in space as the lead plane.  This allowed the trail plane to stay on the leads extended six an pull almost exactly the same turn while doing so.  This is also refered to as "flying to the elbow", with the lead plane being represented by your hand, and your elbow represting the point you would need to  fly to in order to stay in trail.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
One additional possibility:

If you have "optimize objects" checked  in your video settings, you will get a gradually narrowing tunnel that completely closes around 6g. If you have "optimize objects" unchecked, your screen will simply black completely at 5gs.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:50:31 AM »
I'll take Blackout for $500 Alex.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
I would suggest you look at your stick scaling.

Go into controllers, check the advanced box and click on your elevator function.

in the window that opens out when you click advanced, enable scaling and adjust the sliders to dampen down the amount of stick force your applying.  To much stick force when your going to fast is causing the black out.

There used to be a free 8 player online function but it was abused and closed.  You have 2 weeks online free then it is the very small sum of $15 a month.  That works out at around £2 pound a week which is nothing for hours of entertainment.

You can't get this many online players anywhere else and nothing beats outsmarting other HUMAN players.
Hey Bruv
How do you know if your clicking the scalers right? I've never touched stick scaling as it looks like a bunch of lines all up at the top, Is there a way of setting it up so you know it's right?
Cheers
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »

I am a throttle man myself. Throttle is the key to turning inside other planes especially if you are flying one that does not turn well. The first and most important maneuvering control is the throttle.

Speed is life...as they say. But remember that includes LOW speed just as much as HIGH speed.

When you black out to the small circle...ie "fly the tunnel" you are pulling the max amount of G's your virtual pilot can take before totally passing out. This is your minimum turn radius at that speed. If you pull the tunnel you will then begin slowing until you start stalling then it becomes a task of controlling the plane at stall as you turn. Your airspeed will slow the more G's you pull.

The key is making use of your maximum "instantanious" turn radius.

The low down is this.
Make use of HALF throttle more than cut or full throttle. Use verticle yo-yo type turns to control your speed. A combonation of throttle control and verticle turning will equal out and allow you to maintian enough speed to maneuver at close to corner speed longer than the bad guy.

He who stays at corner speed the longest will win!!!!....this is what "speed is life" really means....in terms of commitied dog fighting

IF you stay as close to corner speed as possible to start you will be able to maneuver to your targets six on your terms and most likly control the fignt with an excess of energy. This means options to go verticle or escape for more energy.

There are a lot of holes in my theory here. Using definitions like "corner speed" can lead to a misunderstanding.

It's all dynamic....stay as close to the taget and as close to corner speed as you can. What ever that takes do it....wep and pull to stall....flaps and half throttle....shallow dive to yo-yo etc.... on and on. Fly at the stall when you can and pull to the tunnel when you can.

Good luck.

Agent360