Author Topic: Outsourcing-ish  (Read 515 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Outsourcing-ish
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
I was thinking, "What would it take to add airplanes into Aces High? If we could create our own airplanes and model the flight and such, the wishlist forum would be far less populated with NOOOOOKZ and He-111 insult threads." And also, before the aircraft was finally added to the online game, it would have to pass a series of tests that verify the reliability and accuracy of the plane's flight model and such. Also, is this possible already? Just a thought in the night.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Outsourcing-ish
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
Unlikely...  All kinds of legal issues and I doubt HTC would want to make source code so open.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:08:38 AM »
no, heck no, nuh uh, not ever, no way, and my favorite the guy falling off the building "nooooooooooooooooo........spl at."

NO.  :rock

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »
The reason for a resounding NO is simple....imagine a glock89 modeled 111. The reality is that the FM and plane modeling goes directly to the integrity of the game and most of the guys who are interested dont have either the skills, data or objectivity required.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 01:38:13 PM »
the soft wear they use for the modeling is so expencive
that we humble mortals cant afford it,and HTC couldnt afford to share it around.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »
It's possible, you have to make a custom map for it to work. Only would work offline.

Offline Race

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
     The visual model is just a bunch of polygons with sliders and axis. I dont see why you couldnt model it and let them do the flight model. If you had access to the right software and converters it wouldnt be hard to interface a customer supplied model. The accuracy of the model is the big question and I am sure there are polygon counts that are adhered to. It seems to me a GV would be a good place to test the theory. If HTC made some sort of list of available planes people would do them for graphics projects I would bet. I have seen it all the time in the IL2 arena. It seems to me if they laid the ground work for them people would start to help out. Spend some time laying it out and I cant see how they wouldnt want to have help.

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »
The reason for a resounding NO is simple....imagine a glock89 modeled 111. The reality is that the FM and plane modeling goes directly to the integrity of the game and most of the guys who are interested dont have either the skills, data or objectivity required.
I would screw it up. But be cool to add lazers and jet engines. :lol
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Spoke with HT himself about this many moons ago.

Various issues meant it was a no go.
a) The software they use is expensive.
b) Quality control.

I even have experience in this field, and could export models in a format that could be used by their program. But then you run into animation and part name problems.

Heres a Gripen I did for MSFS (was offered a job in Canada based on it, couldn't get a visa quickly :( )

Currently working on a T-6 II Texan

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:01:23 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
crap that gripen looks awesome...got a Rafale in the books ?  :D

and btw creating and exporting a 3D model to a standard (part names, polygon count, moving parts etc) is not like converting a bmp to a jpg, try it yourself.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Race

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
    I just wish they would give people like Kev367th a shot. Poll the group and take the best canidate just to see where it goes. Set a plane choice(s) so that we dont have the B-29s or Meteors being done. I respect HTC's wishes but I seriously dont see why they wouldnt try it once. So far I cant find anywhere that it has been tried on the boards. The amount of resources within the homes of some of the forum regulars should fill a cabinet on some of the planes. Who knows tho....HTC might be gearing up to really step up production so it might not matter.

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.