Author Topic: VIRUS ALERT: White Christmas  (Read 730 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Re: VIRUS ALERT: White Christmas
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
I feel for you Skuzzy. I've had the same email address, published in print about a million times, since 1997 or so.

I run my own mail server, so it is the gatekeeper and statistician, that then feeds my other accounts and my smartphone. I don't know how I would manage without a mailserver.

The latest stats say it refused about 500 emails a day strait away based on their inability to maintain an open SMTP connection for 20 seconds before delivery. That filters out the basic bots.

Of the remaining messages that are coming from real mail servers (rather than bots), about 350 a day get filtered out as spam. About 30 are virus attachments that I filter away to my zoo for later testing. About 75 daily mailing list mails or advertisements from companies I want to hear from (newegg's mailings frequently have great deals, for example) have to get through, and then about 40 actual mails I need to work with every day, on average. From this block of 40, about 2 are spam messages that somehow got through. I get about 10 false positives a week I need to take out from the spam filters - normally newsletters.

Woof.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: VIRUS ALERT: White Christmas
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »
Sounds like the love bug.

HERBIE? herbie is a virus???
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)