Author Topic: HTC's 'Game Plan'  (Read 960 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
HTC's 'Game Plan'
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
Allow me to start by saying that this isn't intended to be some annoying little post 'demanding' information because 'I'm a paying customer'.... that attitude that seems to be common here irritates me to say the least.

What I am asking for is some sort of rough outline of what is to come from HTC now that CT has been shelved as a singular concept.

I think dropping CT as one great big project was a fantastic idea and the sheer volume of possibilities that have now been presented as a result of this decision has me more excited about Aces High than ever.... it seems that there are just so many things that could be the next item to be implimented.... the mind boggles.

So, I wonder if it would be possible for HTC to give us some sort of rough plan on what they have in store for us next. I'm not asking for time-lines at all, haste seldom breeds quality, just a 'menu' of what we have coming in the future.

Terrain? New environment effects? New planes? New damage model? I could go on for paragraphs... There seems to be so much on the cards (which is great), could we get the list narrowed down a little?

Thanks for your time  :salute
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: HTC's 'Game Plan'
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
I agree... though I would not like to know exactly what they're working on (I love the 'opening presents on Christmas' feeling of new feature screenshots), it would be nice if after a new version comes out (or whenever they decide) that they would give a general idea of what's going on behind the scenes.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
If I were a betting man, I'd bet the major project would be getting all graphics, terrains, and sounds to meet or exceed the quality of the biggest competitor, "Il2", when turned up to maximum settings...currently, graphics, landscapes, and sound effects are the only real reason I have for spending any computer time at all playing Il2 instead of AHII
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
If I were a betting man, I'd bet the major project would be getting all graphics, terrains, and sounds to meet or exceed the quality of the biggest competitor, "Il2", when turned up to maximum settings...currently, graphics, landscapes, and sound effects are the only real reason I have for spending any computer time at all playing Il2 instead of AHII

I really hope so, but I really doubt it. From the moment I first logged into this game I could tell that a "no frills" approach was at its core. Given my sorry excuse for a graphics card at the time (and currently as well), this was all the better for me. But there is just something about the game mechanics and current textures/drawings that just could never look realistic without a MAJOR overhaul.

My guess? They are working on the He-111 and...you're going to laugh, but I really believe, B-29. No nuke. I think HTC realizes how silly perks are for bombers/vehicles and is going to work to add more perk machines to these categories. B-29 with its 100 base perk value fits nicely with that.

I also think a new fighter will be added. I'd love the G.55 but I think they're working on a Japanese plane, Ki-44 maybe.

Speculation.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
but I really believe, B-29.

And I really doubt it ;)

Not so much for gameplay reasons (But who knows ;)), but technical ones. Could difficult to get proper views with the remote controlled turrets, something that already has prevented that we get the periscope view for the 234's rear guns. (They tried it at one point but it didn't work, clipping problems)

Just an educated guess, of course  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
And I really doubt it ;)

Not so much for gameplay reasons (But who knows ;)), but technical ones. Could difficult to get proper views with the remote controlled turrets, something that already has prevented that we get the periscope view for the 234's rear guns. (They tried it at one point but it didn't work, clipping problems)

Just an educated guess, of course  :)
wondered what that tube like thing was for in the cockpit that sits to right of pilot!
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
wondered what that tube like thing was for in the cockpit that sits to right of pilot!

The periscope was both used as  a bombsight (glide bombing) as well as rear gunsight.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:37:16 AM »
I'd like to know what HTC is planning on doing, are currently working on, and (if possible) a rough idea on when it may be out for us. Not "It'll be here in 3 weeks" and then it HAS to be here in 3 weeks. Just a little insight on what they are cooking up for us.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »
We had our convention this past weekend which gave us the chance to speak with players in person and talk about the future of AH.  We’ve been thinking about how we were going to move forward and came to some conclusions that we decided to announce at the convention.

The main news is that we have decided to put Combat Tour on an indefinite hold.  The reason for this is that we have decided that it is better to steer our development in a way that allows us to implement our CT developments first as part of the regular game. 

The way we’ve been going has been like trying to fight a two front war with only one army.  It’s stretched us too thin and has hurt our overall level of productivity.  It also has handcuffed us in a lot of our development decisions by forcing us to indefinitely postpone a lot of other things.

Our biggest obstacle with CT is in breathing life into it to make it fun and immersive.     While a basic structure is there, there’s a ton of detail work to be done to reach that end goal.  Without it, it just has too much of a cardboard cutout feel that’s not going to engage players and hold their attention for long. 

What this all means for now is that we are going to focus on core game development.  We’re going to pull the CT AI mission system and redevelop it for use by CM’s in scenarios and special events.  We’re working on new terrain upgrades in both the technology and the art used.  We want to implement a character animation system.  We want to bring back the old 8 player H2H but expand it both in the number of players and with additional gameplay capabilities.  There’s a lot of systems in the game engine that are dated and in need of overhaul.

In hindsight, this is how we should have approached it from the start.  This will keep us heading in the right direction while getting improvements out to our current players and speeding up our development.  It’s really a chance to reboot our process to get back to our old development cycle that saw things moving at a faster pace.

Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »
We had our convention this past weekend which gave us the chance to speak with players in person and talk about the future of AH.  We’ve been thinking about how we were going to move forward and came to some conclusions that we decided to announce at the convention.

The main news is that we have decided to put Combat Tour on an indefinite hold.  The reason for this is that we have decided that it is better to steer our development in a way that allows us to implement our CT developments first as part of the regular game. 

The way we’ve been going has been like trying to fight a two front war with only one army.  It’s stretched us too thin and has hurt our overall level of productivity.  It also has handcuffed us in a lot of our development decisions by forcing us to indefinitely postpone a lot of other things.

Our biggest obstacle with CT is in breathing life into it to make it fun and immersive.     While a basic structure is there, there’s a ton of detail work to be done to reach that end goal.  Without it, it just has too much of a cardboard cutout feel that’s not going to engage players and hold their attention for long. 

What this all means for now is that we are going to focus on core game development.  We’re going to pull the CT AI mission system and redevelop it for use by CM’s in scenarios and special events.  We’re working on new terrain upgrades in both the technology and the art used.  We want to implement a character animation system.  We want to bring back the old 8 player H2H but expand it both in the number of players and with additional gameplay capabilities.  There’s a lot of systems in the game engine that are dated and in need of overhaul.

In hindsight, this is how we should have approached it from the start.  This will keep us heading in the right direction while getting improvements out to our current players and speeding up our development.  It’s really a chance to reboot our process to get back to our old development cycle that saw things moving at a faster pace.

you sure you didnt rob a quote from HTC and not quote it? seems to intelligent for you to say all this stuff without HTC tellin it to you as you type...

SPY!!!!! :noid
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Race

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
That was I believe Pryo....

Race
Reputation is to be earned not given.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »
you sure you didnt rob a quote from HTC and not quote it? seems to intelligent for you to say all this stuff without HTC tellin it to you as you type...

SPY!!!!! :noid

I dont know how to quote text when the thread is locked where i got it from
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »

I dont know how to quote text when the thread is locked where i got it from

Easy:
Go to that posting you want to quote from. Mark the desired part then ctrl-c to copy to your clipboard.
Go to the thread you are going to post in. Hit reply to start your posting.
Hit ctrl-v to paste the previously copied text from the clipboard to your posting. Now put [ quote author=pyro] in front and [ /quote] after that text (but without the space after "[", I just had to put it there so that you can read it)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »
That quote leaves the many possibilities I spoke of open. What I had hoped for was something a little more detailed than that.

I do not want to put pressure on HTC, it just seems that a more direct outline of their plan since their 90 degree change in direction would be a good way to keep the populace happy as there seems to be quite a few people 'jumping ship' now. I'm not one and thought hasn't crossed my mind but it may help to keep some of the older people around.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:44:05 AM »
I demand information, because im a paying customer... :D
Spell checker is for Morrons