Author Topic: The "BORED" bug  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
The "BORED" bug
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:32:01 AM »

This was just a passing thought and maybe there is nothing to it really. Just happen
    to wonder though, with the free-form ability to just bounce around and not feel any
    certain loyalties to any country or real "sides" where you go up against "any" plane
    or GV in the hangar, could this be a cause for the boredom-bug? If you flew for
    Germany in German planes against the allies,or if we had actual countries we fought
    for with certain allies, would it make more sense and possibly keep more of an interest?

For myself,I think I would feel more excitement towards country fights and goals.
          Just a thought though.  :rolleyes:
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
Re: The "BORED" bug
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »
It's as much frustration as it is boredom, last night I had a few good fights the evening was finished up with some dweeb that Ho'ed on every pass and then sends a Salute B4 landing 4 Ho's thinking what a stud he is.

It's boring to go up sorty after sorty and have to search for someone willing to fight a fight for the sake of the fight. The best fight I had last night I lost to A8Nisky when we were both low and slow me in a 51D and he in a Typhy. The fun is the fight for me where as most of the people you come accross in the MA just want a kill by any means. A proxy to these people is as good as a vulch or a HO, anything to land there couple of kills, name in lights and pats on the back from their squadies who are just as lame as they are.

The current MA mentality to get kills by any means takes no skill and offers nothing in the way of a challenge to either themselves or anyone flying against them. country or side switching has nothing to do with it. Lame game play has everything to do with it.

The shame of it is that most of these people have been taught poor fighting by the vets in there squads who only want to gain better score and promote the kill at all cost mentality as if it had actual value. This just leads to more players over time fighting with little skill and no honor.

Bordom and frustration end with good sticks leaving in frustration which dilutes the talent pool further making the situation worse.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:59:12 AM »
It's boring to go up sorty after sorty and have to search for someone willing to fight a fight for the sake of the fight. The best fight I had last night I lost to A8Nisky when we were both low and slow me in a 51D and he in a Typhy. The fun is the fight for me where as most of the people you come accross in the MA just want a kill by any means. A proxy to these people is as good as a vulch or a HO, anything to land there couple of kills, name in lights and pats on the back from their squadies who are just as lame as they are.

The current MA mentality to get kills by any means takes no skill and offers nothing in the way of a challenge to either themselves or anyone flying against them. country or side switching has nothing to do with it. Lame game play has everything to do with it.

Not quite, I will land proxies when I get them (as I'll land any plane that's still flyable), however I will announce that they're proxies (e.g. I had 12 proxies in an F4U a few days ago from people towering out in PT boats, but before I landed I said on the country channel that they were proxies).

Also, my tactics vary depending on many things.  I am FAR from a 'veteran' of this game, but if I am in a fighter and have other options, I'll probably try and avoid HOs.  However, if I'm in a B-25H, I am happy to do HOs, largely because:
a) I often kill the other person
b) they really shouldn't be HOing a bomber with 8x nose mounted 50 cals
c) it may be the only shot I get.

Somewhat in contrast to this, if I see a player who appears to be in a 1-on-1, I will almost 100% of the time ask their permission before engaging, and under certain circumstances I will break off from fights/not kill an enemy who's plane is crippled and who is RTB.

Also, if I get bored I just go and do something else usually.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline mutly2008

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24:48 AM »
Dang Yanksfan!  How depressing can you get?  There's 2 sides to every coin,...  I agree with you about the vulching thing, when "shimoes" vulche for the hell of it.  But on thr other hand, it's kinda pointless to try to up on a runway thats got 20 nme planes over it.  No one likes getting blasted on the runway, but if the objective is taking the base, then keeping the nme pinned down is part of the objective.  I guess it boils down to a simple fact,... If you dont wanna get killed, dont up on a covered runway.  Whether its a squad taking the base away from you, or just a couple of glory hounds trying to get off. Popping out on the runway is an invite to getting hosed!  In the end, the best of fights, are the ones that begin with a thought out plan, not a knee jerk reaction to seeing the nme over your base.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »
"If you flew forGermany in German planes against the allies,or if we had actual countries we fought for with certain allies,"

try the AVA. Axis vs Allies.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:29:24 AM »
Dang Yanksfan!  How depressing can you get?  There's 2 sides to every coin,...  I agree with you about the vulching thing, when "shimoes" vulche for the hell of it.  But on thr other hand, it's kinda pointless to try to up on a runway thats got 20 nme planes over it.  No one likes getting blasted on the runway, but if the objective is taking the base, then keeping the nme pinned down is part of the objective.  I guess it boils down to a simple fact,... If you dont wanna get killed, dont up on a covered runway.  Whether its a squad taking the base away from you, or just a couple of glory hounds trying to get off. Popping out on the runway is an invite to getting hosed!  In the end, the best of fights, are the ones that begin with a thought out plan, not a knee jerk reaction to seeing the nme over your base.

Why you bring up avoiding dweebs vulching i don't know.

my point is not to stay alive, my point is fighting a fight, not being a smacked azzzz just trying to rack up cheap kills by anymeans to make it look like your fighting.

live or die the fun is "THE FIGHT"!

As far as landing kills, I don't usually bother, I fly till I'm out of fuel, ammo or airplane, proxy's if i have them I just auger, if I'm far from the base I auger, makes no difference to me, if your vulching a field, I'll be the guy coming down on your head not the fool on the runway.

The problem here is finding people who want to fight rather then take undefended fields or blow up buildings, take a HO pass and run like heck, make someone chase them across a sector and kill them in their own ack. Toolshedding is fine, taking bases can cause some real good fights, but when you plan out a mission to avoid enemy contact so you can sneak an undefended field you may as well do that offline, but then again if they were offline they couldn't have the 60 plane horde along.

Some, not all but too many guys that have been playing a while and refer to themselves as vets, teach the worst kind of game play to noobs who don't know any better who inturn teach what they have learned to others, bad cycle that has brought game play to its knees.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
any game becomes boring if you play it excessively.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:01:07 AM »
What is boring is sortie after sortie fighting the same planes.  I am soooooo bored of fighting spit16's ....La7's ....P51's ....Fw190d's sortie after sortie.  Meanwhile  I'm flying earlier rides which causes me to get gang banged by La7's ...Spit16's....P51's....fw190d's ...every sortie.  Last night I flew a 109g2.....La5 ...Ki-84 ....p40e and a p39q.   On the p39 run I had two spit 16's ...two la7's and one P51d gang me .....boring!!

The player's in this game are what is boring.  Why players don't get tired flying the latest and best planes every mission is beyond me.  I can understand flying these birds sometimes ....but sortie after sortie?

100% of this game's problems are the people who play it.  For me every mission is the same, because I fight the same enemy planes every run.  Not only do the players fly nothing but the best....then they gang me again...and again.  To be frank this crap is slowly pushing me out the door.

The game provides us with a wonderful list of planes to fly ...there is little point in HTC developing any new planes because nobody fly's them.  For all the Public support the p39 got ...do you ever see one? ...or better yet do you fly any?? ....I didn't even vote for the damn thing, yet I fly it ( I was one of the lowly 6% that voted for something Japanese ...don't get me started of that)

After carefully thinking over last nights sorties I only saw 3 planes the whole night that were not Spit16's ....La7's ....P51's and Fw190d's.  I saw a zeke5...a Hurri-c and a La5.  Since the Hurri-c and the zeke5 are super turners they are pretty ordinary as well.  Only the la5 pilot brought some "color" to game. To him I say horrah!! ...and thanks to him for having some "stones" in his sack,  I had more fun!!

I'm very discouraged ...and bored with all this ...sadly

Helm ...out
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:03:29 AM by Helm »
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
Well at a guess, I'd say the vast majority of players in this game are not bored with it at all.  In fact, seeing as most of the people who have posted in this thread are quite/very good at this game, I would expect to find that most people this game to be very difficult to get kills in.  As a result of this, the challenge this game presents to them would make it exciting.

It follows that these sorts of people (i.e. most of the players of this game) would lean towards flying planes which would tend to give them an advantage over their enemy (e.g. the Spitty XVI, P-51D, La-7).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »
need more updates...
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:36 AM »
The arena concept doesn't have a lot of depth to it.  Organized scenarios like FSO are much more challenging and much more fun.  The extra elements of assigned objectives and strategic planning make the possibilities endless.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »
Sometimes you just need to break the monotony.  Take your squaddies to the DA and get some practice, or better yet divide your squad on different countries find a couple opposing Vbases where there is no fight and have a jeep battle.  Lolz and good spirits will ensue.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
   Many of the BoPs have been feeling this "Bored Bug" lately, so starting this week, every Thursday we are going to have a Scrimmage Night where we will take the squad to the DA for awhile for some squaddie vs. squaddie fights, then we are going to head over to the MW, EW and/or AvA arenas, where we will divide up amongst the countries (something the BoPs never have done).  So if you play in these arenas, you can expect 30 or so more players in those arenas Thursday night.  That's our idea for breaking the LW monotony we've been feeling.  Also, we want to set up some BoP vs. ? squad scrimmages if anyone is interested.  If so, PM me and we'll set something up.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
You know, I'd really like to drop a piano on all the "The game is now so easy for me I'm bored" posters. Or maybe a harpsichord...yeah, its between those two right now. Yes sir, that whole mentality is just way too much like the "poor little rich kid" thing for me.

Well, it ain't so darn easy for yours truly that I'm bored, and I've been spending a totally unjustifiable amount of time playing and studying for years now.

It is  a massively multiplayer combat flight sim with a Late-War area. And people are complaining about facing, what, large groups of people in Late War planes. :huh

Fly a faster plane/get some alt to FORCE people to engage. Try to engage some of the more supremely maneuverable aircraft and over-aggressively flown aircraft like the Spit in your 109E or whatever, rather than complaining when some noob Pony driver makes you eat dust after you get that thing on his six in a turn and a half. Get a wingman to help you survive the horde, or learn how to cut stragglers out of the horde. Do any damn thing but make another self-aggrandizing post about how clubbing the seals in the MA is now so easy for you that you are bored and quitting to go live on a beach and weave grass-hats all day.

Oh, and btw, if we want people to fly something besides the most popular/effective rides, then why are we not all behind some changes to the scoring system that will actually give more tangible rewards to flying the more difficult crates? Of course, you will have to come up with some kind of "ranking" system for the plane's ease-of-use as a fighter that is more rational than the current ENY numbers.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:53:50 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »

my point is not to stay alive, my point is fighting a fight, not being a smacked azzzz just trying to rack up cheap kills by anymeans to make it look like your fighting.

live or die the fun is "THE FIGHT"!

Most certainly agree with the above..however, I've been reading (wasting time) scads of postings on vein of "aww, gee, I'm so dissatisfied with the current game play", etc, etc, .  Y'all need to shut yer "claptrap" and have a little patience. It won't be long before all (well maybe some) of your concerns will be answered via a HTH addition to the AH code, or as that coding Guru puts it "coad"   :)

Oh, one other thing for those of y'all that don't like the way I express my views...give it your best shot.."a Rhino's skin ain't got nuttin on me." 

..sigh..why do I bother..  :rolleyes:

dentin has left the building
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"