Author Topic: Assault... On the Queen's English... Meh!  (Read 364 times)

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
Assault... On the Queen's English... Meh!
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
http://news.aol.com/article/apathetic-meh-enters-dictionary/250110

Apathetic 'Meh' Enters Dictionary

The dictionary's compilers said the word originated in North America, spread through the Internet and was now entering British spoken English.

Thanks to the internet, we are slowly becoming less separated by a common language! 

I have to think this irks proponents of "the Queen's English..."   :D

"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
Re: Assault... On the Queen's English... Meh!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
lets get more lamewords into the dictionary!!!
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
Bloody hell.  That is bollocks.  

I have to think this irks proponents of "the Queen's English..."   :D

Bugger off, banana.

:aok
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
what about merh?

meh is something in its own right.

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
I invented "lawlz".  I hope it makes it one day.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
hey complain all you want about a word or two, but at least they didn't try to pass a law in your country to allow/force colleges to teach Ebonics classes!!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Word!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline JAGED

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
hey complain all you want about a word or two, but at least they didn't try to pass a law in your country to allow/force colleges to teach Ebonics classes!!!!!!

Try is the operative word here...   :D
"I post facts.   If I post anything thats not a fact, I ask if people know whether it is fact or drivel first..."    SkyRock (ROFL LMFAO)

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »

Oh you think thats bad, if you always wondered why tomatos were considered a vegtible in america, well heres your answer

Supreme Court astutely captured in an 1893 import duties case:

Botanically speaking, tomatoes are the fruit of a vine, just as are cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas. But in the common language of the people, whether sellers or consumers of provisions, all these are vegetables which are grown in kitchen gardens, and which, whether eaten cooked or raw, are, like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, and lettuce, usually served at dinner in, with, or after the soup, fish, or meats which constitute the principal part of the repast, and not, like fruits generally, as dessert.

The attempt to class tomatoes as fruit is not unlike a recent attempt to class beans as seeds, of which Mr. Justice Bradley, speaking for this court, said: "We do not see why they should be classified as seeds, any more than walnuts should be so classified. Both are seeds, in the language of botany or natural history, but not in commerce nor in common parlance. On the other hand in speaking generally of provisions, beans may well be included under the term 'vegetables.' As an article of food on our tables, whether baked or boiled, or forming the basis of soup, they are used as a vegetable, as well when ripe as when green. This is the principal use to which they are put. Beyond the common knowledge which we have on this subject, very little evidence is necessary, or can be produced."
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew