Author Topic: Mission: 'Pappy' Boyington's last battle  (Read 2535 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Mission: 'Pappy' Boyington's last battle
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

On January 3, 1944 48 American fighters, including one division of four planes from the Black Sheep Squadron(vmf-214), launched a mission from Bougainville for a fighter sweep over Rabaul. Boyington was the tactical commander of the flight and arrived over the target at eight o'clock in the morning. In the ensuing action, the major was seen to shoot down his 26th plane. He then became mixed in the general melee of diving, swooping planes and was not seen or heard from again during  the battle, nor did he return with his squadron. Boyington's wingman Captain George Ashmun was KIA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Boyington

VMF-214
flight I Major 'Pappy' Boyington
Flight II Captain George Ashmun
Flight III f4u-1a
Flight IV  f4u-1a

Japan:
20 a6m5bs

Install instructions:
 copy vmf214a.mis to the offmis directory
 copy yamdth.mis to the offmis directory(yamamoto last flight is included since it uses the same map)
 copy avasolm1.res to the ahiiterr(new map is needed which includes a new airfield for the vmf-214 to take off from)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/d49f8a21-d737-473e-9e1e-7097d65d07fc/vmfymd
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:18:54 AM by soda72 »

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Mission: 'Pappy' Boyington's last battle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »
downloading as I type
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
I tried to access the link you provided, but nothing happens.  It says 'cannot display page'. 
I will keep trying.  Sounds like fun.

:salute
Coogan

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 06:12:16 PM »
Soda, I flew as the Japanese in it, and it seemed there were only 2 yankies? Is that right? Or did I miss the fight somewhere?
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »
there are actually 4.

Also, not all enemy planes attack. Just 2.

Also, how in the world does a a6m5 stay in a climb with a f4u?

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
Soda, I flew as the Japanese in it, and it seemed there were only 2 yankies? Is that right? Or did I miss the fight somewhere?

For this mission I would recommend flying as Ashmun or pappy, the other flights are not as interesting..

There were 4 planes in the division but when pappy and Ashmun went in to attack the other planes in his division did not follow.  This was also one of the reasons pappy was shotdown, he did not have any supporting aircraft looking out for him and Ashmun in case they were to get into trouble(which they did).  In the mission to simulate the situation I have the other two planes in pappy's division continue towards Rabaul while pappy and Ashmun dive in for the attack.  They do at some point circle back in towards the fight but you have to last long enough for them to arrive plus be in the right spot for them to assist.  If you're interested in the actual combat situation that occurred click on the wiki link I posted.

Also, not all enemy planes attack. Just 2.

The AI only allows couple of planes to attack each available tgt, if there are more planes than tgts the remaining planes will ignore and continue to fly their routes.   I mentioned this in the mission editor forum, I don't know if that is something new they added or if it has always worked that way.  It would be nice if the AI would at least circle around and wait to see if their buddies finish the job... 

I suppose I could make the routes they follow circle around the area were they first meet up but it will be difficult to time it..

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:54:44 PM by soda72 »

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
rog

Offline penut1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
top stuff :aok