Author Topic: 1.5k plane's icon for GVers  (Read 437 times)

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
1.5k plane's icon for GVers
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:32:53 AM »
If you in GV you shouldnt see icon of enemy plane until 1.5k, just like he dont see yours before this point. Otherwise it dont fair  :huh
You dont really need a tag to see plane in air, do you? And you have alot more time to look around in comparision with planes w/o risk of crashing in process.

btw, i dont really want it, just becomes tired with ppl who want all advantages for themselves
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:35:00 AM by Oleg »
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: 1.5k plane's icon for GVers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:08:53 AM »
Why bother posting when you don't want it? Pleasing one crowd only arises another with even more complaints.

I, personally, am against this idea. Think about it.... Planes can move out of range of a GV VERY easily. So they don't need to be warned of the Wirbelwinds on the ground. However, for a GV to get away from a plane, it would have to hide underneath some trees. And since the ground vehicles can't maneuver as easily nor travel as fast as a plane they require more time to hide or get away. In my opinion the icon system right now is just fine.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
Planes can move out of range of a GV VERY easily. So they don't need to be warned of the Wirbelwinds on the ground.

Its not about moving away from danger, its about situation awareness.

In fact, when you see WW icon you are in danger already. And he dont need so much time to disintegrate you with his quad 20mm. Also short icons makes divebombing more difficult, at the point you start diving you dont see icon yet, usually.

I dont say it wrong, but short icons definitely makes GV's life easely.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »
In RL a flyer would have to be much closer to a ground target to properly identify it vs. when the ground target can identify the plane.  Current icons ranges are appropriate IMO.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »
It is far easier for the gv to spot the aircraft than the aircraft to spot the gv... in real life anyways.  For those of us who fly for real sometimes a yard shack from 1 mile away can appear to be a bus.  A bus in the middle of a grove may actually be a shack.

The "fair" thing is far different than what reality is.  I think the current system is fine with the exception of being able to identify what it is 6k out.  I think until it is 1.5 out the red icon should just be an "X" or something.  That goes for ground to air and air to air visuals.  Keep teh air to ground as is, IMO.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 11:41:47 AM »
I agree, if GV's can see planes from 1.5k, make it the same the other way around.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
I agree, icons at 1.5k out should just say "AC" or "GV"  :rock

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »
Damn good idea SmokinLoon.  I really agree that the air-to-air tags should just display 'X' or 'Con'.  Not displaying the distance away or the make of the aircraft, until around 1.5k.  Would that help on the lag situation at all I wonder?
  Seems like it would, since there is less information being displayed on everyones screens.

:rock
Coogan

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »
Why bother posting when you don't want it? Pleasing one crowd only arises another with even more complaints.

I, personally, am against this idea. Think about it.... Planes can move out of range of a GV VERY easily. So they don't need to be warned of the Wirbelwinds on the ground. However, for a GV to get away from a plane, it would have to hide underneath some trees. And since the ground vehicles can't maneuver as easily nor travel as fast as a plane they require more time to hide or get away. In my opinion the icon system right now is just fine.

I agree Denholm.  Just fine the way it is... :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline penut1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
I agree Denholm.  Just fine the way it is... :aok

:aok