Author Topic: The "Skid break manuever" thread got me thinking...  (Read 883 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: The "Skid break manuever" thread got me thinking...
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »
2Bighorn --

Love your sig. You got me giggling with the "AH Oracle" link!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »

:rofl
 :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl :rofl
 :rofl :rofl
 :rofl

i laugh in your general direction!

i dont think you know what your talking about!!!!!

you need to read a book or something, maybe learn you some proper english while your at it!

who says we cant stay on topic??? ooh look a kitty.........

speaking of kitties have you seen my new cat pictures?

have you heard angelina jolies pregnant again?!

Azz-hools Can't Master

<SALUTE>

FLOTSOM

Precisely  :aok

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
That is an easy one...

We don't have an ACM Discussion Forum because furballing is counter-productive to winning the war.

I played the game for maybe 7 years without caring about "winning the war".  Lots of players couldn't care less about "the war".  When I get my system back together and get playing again, my preferred gameplay will have nothing to do with "winning the war" and everything to do with air to air combat.

Not trying to change how anyone plays the game, just keep in mind that not everyone plays the game the same way.  HTC has never mandated any particular type of gameplay, even though they have taken measures to reduce certain griefer behaviors.

As for an ACM forum, it might be a good idea.  Way back in the WB/CK days, there were usually several active threads on how to do BFM and ACM.  Nowadays those discussions seem to degenerate into the relative value of a given tactic, not how to actually accomplish it.  Worr had a great series of articles on gunnery, I seem to recall writing a few long posts on wingman tactics along with some other flying pigs (which we then used to utterly dominate one of the old school large-scale scenarios), and there were some good writeups on defensive BFM.  How to approach a furball without getting cherry picked was a common topic...  Take the time to climb to the top of the furball and work your way down, circle it at medium alt and work your way in from the side, or fly in fast at low altitude, and pick off guys who had gotten low and slow?  All good techniques, all work much better if you have a wingman that does nothing but clear lead's 6.  Approach the fight in pairs.  Flight lead enters the fight and picks a target, wingman sticks with the lead and does nothing but take potshots at anyone saddling up on lead.  Either the lead or wingman can call for an abort or for the other pilot to "drag", giving a direction to turn and instructions to run or expect the wingman to shoot someone off their 6.

We don't seem to get those discussions anymore, and I think the forums that held all those old discussions are long gone.

The way-old usenet archives probably still have some of those threads...  In fact, you can find a number of them through a usenet archive search.  Search for any of the old handles or game idents in the old flightsim groups.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:17:10 PM by eagl »
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »
What is that war you are talking about ?

All i have seen so far is some pawns trying to out number the other pawns, thus creating a situation where these pawns with greater number shoot these other pawns trying to lift off from a "fish barrel shooting event"
After this situation has calmed down, there might be some enthusiastic "Wtg! Good job on 55!" on the green channel and then everyone starts this over in a different field.

If one would be looking for a "war" i would suggest a certain other competing brand of massive online war game (but i cant do that because the FM and modeling blows)

For me, this game is about learning air combat. Too bad i suck at it... but everyone who gets their kicks about porking&vulching and base humping can do what they want, its their sub fee.

-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
Why do we not have an ACM Discussion Forum ? HTC?

It's called Help & Training, there are ongoing discussions there at this very moment.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »
I played the game for maybe 7 years without caring about "winning the war".  Lots of players couldn't care less about "the war".  When I get my system back together and get playing again, my preferred gameplay will have nothing to do with "winning the war" and everything to do with air to air combat.

Not trying to change how anyone plays the game, just keep in mind that not everyone plays the game the same way.  HTC has never mandated any particular type of gameplay, even though they have taken measures to reduce certain griefer behaviors.

As for an ACM forum, it might be a good idea.  Way back in the WB/CK days, there were usually several active threads on how to do BFM and ACM.  Nowadays those discussions seem to degenerate into the relative value of a given tactic, not how to actually accomplish it.  Worr had a great series of articles on gunnery, I seem to recall writing a few long posts on wingman tactics along with some other flying pigs (which we then used to utterly dominate one of the old school large-scale scenarios), and there were some good writeups on defensive BFM.  How to approach a furball without getting cherry picked was a common topic...  Take the time to climb to the top of the furball and work your way down, circle it at medium alt and work your way in from the side, or fly in fast at low altitude, and pick off guys who had gotten low and slow?  All good techniques, all work much better if you have a wingman that does nothing but clear lead's 6.  Approach the fight in pairs.  Flight lead enters the fight and picks a target, wingman sticks with the lead and does nothing but take potshots at anyone saddling up on lead.  Either the lead or wingman can call for an abort or for the other pilot to "drag", giving a direction to turn and instructions to run or expect the wingman to shoot someone off their 6.

We don't seem to get those discussions anymore, and I think the forums that held all those old discussions are long gone.

The way-old usenet archives probably still have some of those threads...  In fact, you can find a number of them through a usenet archive search.  Search for any of the old handles or game idents in the old flightsim groups.

I think Del was just being sarcastic eagl.  :)
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
Why do we not have an ACM Discussion Forum ? HTC?

Well Heather.... every other line in the general discussions section already covers the HO.  :D

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »
I think Del was just being sarcastic eagl.  :)

That's why my post was longer than one line...  To add content instead of just being snippy.

But if one line snippy comments works for you, then stick with it  :aok

(heh just pulling yer leg)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.