Author Topic: RC Helicopters/airplanes  (Read 4435 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Re: RC Helicopters/airplanes
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
I've been on exercises with these guys before.

The FAA would hunt you down, beat you up, and possibly either put you in jail, or financially wreck you with fines, for using these in a paintball game's airspace :( The only legal alternative is semi-autonomous, using R/C control in tandem with something home-brew or hobbyist built like the uNav PicoPilot to keep it on course.

imho, the best solution possible is a blimp for this specific usage. It'd have to be fairly large... 9 feet long, 5 feet in diameter, and you'd still be limited by anything over a 10mph wind. Easy to transport, easy to fly, stable camera platform.. just stay up a few hundred feet so ground fire doesn't pound it to pieces.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
thanks for the help. I think we'll just end up buying a Air Hogs plane or something since most are made of foam. hopefully it'll beable to carry a camera
OEF 11-12

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »
Take the money you'd spend on that and invest it at a strip club.  You'll have more fun than trying to fly your RC plane over a paintball game which will not yield you a usable image.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »
I want to shoot the RC Chopper. :t

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »

WE SHOT UP A WORLD MODELS T34 with a paintgun. it wasnt pretty, but was probably the funniest thing i've ever seen!!
 :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
yea lol, I was talking with my team about if it got shot. it is almost 100% guarenteed someone would shoot it if they saw it and had the range
OEF 11-12

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
Good luck trying to get one of those little planes to carry anything but itself. They don't have a lot of excess power.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
thanks for the help. I think we'll just end up buying a Air Hogs plane or something since most are made of foam. hopefully it'll beable to carry a camera

Actually, I think your best bet for this project is simply a big balloon or a kite on a tether.  We use large balloons or kites in falconry to train some of our birds.  I use a kite to carry a payload up as high as 1200ft, and the bird goes up to grab the payload which then releases and slides down the line.  I use a stable (Delta) kite that actually just flies itself (I have a large spool mounted on a heavy base.  I set it on the ground, let the kite go up, and just leave it alone, walk away to get the bird, etc.)  I send payloads as heavy as 10oz up on my 60" wingspan delta kite.  A set-up allowing you to use a cordless drill to wind the line back up works great!

It would be a simple matter to attach a camera as a payload (I've done that with "still" camera's before), and two servos to direct the camera's aim.  With the wind in your favor (my kite will fly in as low as 4mph wind) you could actually put the kite (or balloon) in position over your opponent, but easily out of their reach.  The balloons we use are just filled with helium, and are about 6 feet in diameter.  I went with the kite personally, 'cause what do I do with the balloon at the end of the day?  Keep buying helium?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
Box Kites make extremely stable platforms too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
Actually, I think your best bet for this project is simply a big balloon or a kite on a tether.  We use large balloons or kites in falconry to train some of our birds.  I use a kite to carry a payload up as high as 1200ft, and the bird goes up to grab the payload which then releases and slides down the line.  I use a stable (Delta) kite that actually just flies itself (I have a large spool mounted on a heavy base.  I set it on the ground, let the kite go up, and just leave it alone, walk away to get the bird, etc.)  I send payloads as heavy as 10oz up on my 60" wingspan delta kite.  A set-up allowing you to use a cordless drill to wind the line back up works great!

Kick arse, I'd like to see films of that.  I know nothing about it, but when those birds fly across a packed stadium I wonder how the heck they trained them. 

On a sidenote, I bet Mr. Slave would be afraid to own one cause all the damage they would do to Lemmiwinks.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »
Good luck trying to get one of those little planes to carry anything but itself. They don't have a lot of excess power.

you don't know much aboutg r/c, do ya?

OK, I  had time to add to this now.

9 out of 10 r/c models are so incredibly overpowered it's not funny. i have at least 4 that'll launch in less than a 5 foot ground roll. and that's on a grass strip. even my 80" p51 only needs 6 to 10 feet if i push her.
 mounting cameras on these aircraft is no big deal. there are plenty of small cameras, that don't require massive batteries. we've done it at our r/c club. one guy was flying his by only using a tv monitor. hell,. he landed on our aircraft carrier that way.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:46:10 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Take the money you'd spend on that and invest it at a strip club. 
:aok
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »
yea lol, I was talking with my team about if it got shot. it is almost 100% guarenteed someone would shoot it if they saw it and had the range
That's fine too, mission accomplished, they gave away their position.  Now go keeeeeeel them.
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:05 AM »
Scenario play still makes me want to rofl.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
Scenario play still makes me want to rofl.

I like it because there's something relatively new each time. Speedball turns into an FPS game too fast. Play-Repeat-Play-Repeat-Play-Repeat. :(