Author Topic: Strat and realism.......  (Read 129 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Strat and realism.......
« on: May 10, 2000, 10:39:00 AM »
How bout this:

I think it's daft to zip around the map like a lightning bolt when changing fields.  

How about not having a choice about where you fly from.....ie, the base you last landed at is the one you gotta take off from.  If you wanna start a mission from somewhere else.....fly there.

If you're shot down you re-up from the nearest base.

Q: What happens when a field is captured? A: So are you.  This means at some point the decision must be made to abandon the base and get the shreck outta Dodge by any means possible.  Could be kinda cool, dont you think?

Swoop

Pavel

Strat and realism.......
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
I think it's a good idea, but I consider the concept more appropriate for a historical venue (when we get one) as opposed to the grand coliseum that is the main.  I imagine those seeking the realism of a historical arena would also favor a spawning scheme which encourages more realistic flying. If you are killed would you then be ‘re-born’ at a backward field?

Offline Jinx

• Zinc Member
Strat and realism.......
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
One good ol’ idea on this is that you get your plane at a rear field, there might be a few of these and they work like all the fields does now. On a map like we have now, maybe three rear fields around the HQ/city area. The new thing is a forward field, no new planes are available from here, just rearming and refueling, and maybe some repairs.

As long as you land on a field, forward or rear, you can keep your sortie going without exiting. Taxi off the runway and stop the engine, wait 30 seconds and you are good to go again. If you get killed, ditch or land wheels up you are done with that plane and have to exit to get a new ride from a rear field again.

The thinking is that it will promote more fear of death without making it too costly, and get rid of the instant respawning at the front.

-Jinx

------------------

www.flyingpigs.com

[This message has been edited by Jinx (edited 05-11-2000).]

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Strat and realism.......
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2000, 06:14:00 AM »
Excellent ideas!
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Greg 'wmutt' Cook

Strat and realism.......
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2000, 07:00:00 AM »
Actually, what I would like to see is having the field where I just {.EF}ed become the field I'm at.  I don't know how many times I've landed my bomber at a field and thought I grab a fighter and take off only to find myself half way across the world from where I landed.
But for your idea of shuttling, I like it except for the trouble of taking the extra time to reach the fight when you're just poping in for a quick flight.  Also, what happens if the fighter hangers are disabled at a "base" field.

------------------
Greg 'wmutt' Cook
332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Jinx

• Zinc Member
Strat and realism.......
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2000, 04:36:00 AM »
That you by default remain at the field where you land is a given I think, don’t have a clue why it isn’t that way now..

About field captures of the ‘rear’ fields and closing them, I’m not sure you should be able to close or capture those fields, I don’t think they should be made natural targets. You should always be able to fly from them, but they should be affected by strat targets for fuel and so on. If they could be closed, think F1 with a rebuild time of five minutes or so for the hangars.

What I would like to see is a more pronounced front line, with many small forward fighter fields and vehicle depots, with some larger fields for bomber ops mixed in. Once an attack is pushed to where the front is in effective range of a rear field, the defenders will have a huge advantage, but I see that as a Good Thing <tm>. Winning the war could be a matter of pushing a country back to only the rear fields and then leveling all the strat targets.

I don’t like to see one country that is gang-banged and pushed back to a corner, even if it is badly outnumbered, and that would and should be extremely hard to do with a setup like this.

About the time to the fight problems, I would like a to see a separate training and fur ball arena where one could pop in for a quick fix. But that’s an other idea…  

-Jinx