Author Topic: On Feb.16 I will be a real Fighter Pilot  (Read 2044 times)

Mk10 225th

On Feb.16 I will be a real Fighter Pilot
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2001, 10:55:00 AM »
Oh man, you guys are killin' me...

Some day Mk, some day son...  

Mk

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
I've done ACUSA a total of 3 times now.

The marchetti's are a blast to fly. Very responsive, lots of feedback when you enter an accelerated stall (or get close to it), and will spin REALLY fast if you get into a low speed stall.

Eat a light breakfast, and maybe a little ginger before you go up (I've gotten sick once, nauseous once, and the third time I was totally fine. Go figure.)

Amazing but true, these silly little computer games really help you in the real thing. Each time the instructors were very impressed with us (I did it with a couple of buddies who also fly multiplayer air sims)

You will not be prepared for 2 things:

The Gs. It's one thing to pull 6 Gs in a sim. It's quite another to try and track your opponent with your head in a 4.5 G turn, while steering your plane, 'grunting' and enyoing a loss of hearing & color vision.

Spotting you opponent. If he gets on your 6 you're going to have a hard time steering the plane, keeping him in sight and evading. If you ever loose sight of your opponent you'll be lucky to survive that fight.

As a final note, there's one dangerous side effect of this. You *will* annoy your friends for a long time to come due to uncontrollable babbling about HOW AMAZINGLY COOL IT WAS!

~Lemur

p.s. When doing this, Head On shots are a very bad idea  

BMF

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2001, 12:19:00 AM »

Originally posted by Voss:
If you;re really rich they have a fantasy vacation in Moscow. Anyway, I think it was:
 http://www.incredible-adventures.com

I think the Chino offering is a great buy, too! They let you trade flights for rides in WWII types like the F4U. Check it out!

Voss 13th T.A.S.

For all the posts no one seems to have noticed this one. A 3-day 3-flight package in the T-33 dual control trainer for $5,000. In order to trade flights for all of the warbirds they have would take $10,000. The WWII planes represented are the P-51, P-47, P-40, F4U, and the SBD Dauntless. Limited stick time though. Too rich for my blood!

------------------
Bare*Metal*Finish

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »

Eat banana's for breakfast, they go down easy, they come up easy...don't make the mistake of NOT eating, or you'll really be in trouble.

He he he.  I flew with AirCombat USA last summer when I was in LA.  I had a *very* light breakfast that consisted of one coffee, a muffin, and half a pill to combat nausea without making me sleepy.  

Threw up three times in the plane, and once in the rental car on the way back.  

Happily, my opponent did too, and we ended up with a draw because we each shot the other one down once when he let go of the controls to reach for the sick bag.  

Cheers,
phaetn