Author Topic: Why AHII is the BEST combat flight sim...  (Read 1574 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why AHII is the BEST combat flight sim...
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »

However Gunnery...I don't know wether it's for lack of a detailed model, or for gun dispersion being too small within the game, but a WW2 air simulator that allows for relatively easy hits at distances of 1000 yards (and with certain guns, catastrophic damage caused by said hits) is a simulator which should improve that department. In WW2 hitting fighter-sized planes at distances over 300m was extremely rare, most kills being achieved at almost knife distance.

i think the game would be far worse off if it denied the possibility for long range hits. Sure, it was unlikely in real life to hit beyond 300, but I have read reports of kills being made up to and beyond 600 yrds. Six months of flying here gives us more experience than a whole war of flying back then, so it stands to reason that folks with a good eye start hitting long shots more often. I suggest to you that if AH2 made it impossible to hit beyond a certain realistic (even if unlikely) range then it would be less of a simulator than it is now. 1k hits were possible with 50cals, they should be in the game too. Military lore regarding .50 cal ammo is 'If you can see it with the naked eye, you can land rounds on it'. If 1k shots were impossible in AH it would be to please the gamers, not fit realism.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
Also, 1k (and even 800 or 700 yard) shots are not all that likely if your target is aware of you and maneuvers.  If he is flying straight and level, then you might be able to get a sprinkling of hits at 1k if you are quite good at correcting for convergence (or maybe some more if you have nose-mounted guns) -- but that is probably how it would be in real life.

I suspect that AH's gunnery model is fairly realistic.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
in Ah2 and most other sims we dont have vibrations and weather effects to take care of.
Shooting at a fighter size targets at range was just wasting ammo, only late p51s gyroscopic sights made long range shooting possible against level flying targets.

Germans attacked 4 engine bombers at max 600 yards and got like 2% hit rates. Imagine shooting at a fighter size target- what would the % be ?
osing sight in ww2 combat when planes where flying @ 300mph was very common.
Most fighters shot down was by an enemy they did not see.

Many of the US "kills" @ range 1000 yards or so was against german 20 hour pilots that saw the tracers and just bailed to save their lives knowing they would not stand a chance against properly trained pilots.
Off angle gunnery is also too easy in most sims.

Ww2online has its flaws - as someone in this thread pointed out, but you are harder to spot and you have to work a plane over to gain a kill.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »

Speaking of instruments, the highly visible G-meter in AHII is a God-send. Even though most WWII airplanes didn't have them, it is entirely appropriate to mount a G indicator in any sim cockpit, to make up for the lack of physical feeling of G forces. Same goes for the audible angle of attack indicator, or stall-horn we have. Without the subtly input of control feel, entirely appropriate to model it into a sim.

:confused: how do you use it in the middle of a fight?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
What he said ^ and where is it? I still havnt found it in my mossie. I did find that pulling my head back i have things which tell me how fast im going and how long before im a sitting duck, but i didnt like them so i put my face back up to the gunsite. :confused:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 01:33:33 AM »
Uh, with a quick glance, just like the ASI?

Though at this point, if I want to unload to 0G, or pull up at ~3gs instead of ~5gs, I can more or less "feel it". But without the G meter, there wouldn't be any reference to get your feelings calibrated to in the first place.

Sims like CFS, Il2, they don't give you any indicator except black-out and red-out.

:confused: how do you use it in the middle of a fight?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."