Author Topic: An Interesting Merge  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: An Interesting Merge
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »
Yaw was present, I was fighting it the whole time, and then in the end, I reduce throttle, the cut it completely.

You can think of it like pre-loading the controls, and setting yourself up to let the plane, yaw and roll into a position that leads your advantage.  The the mossy  up and get some airspeed, say 250mph.  Put the mossy into the vertical make it stall straight up, and then fall backwards back to the earth.

Once you can do that, gather airspeed again and climb vertical, now try to time your inputs so that you can achieve a similar stall to what the video shows.  Too early on the inputs, your flight path become a large turn.  Too late in the inputs, you tumble to the ground.

Try letting your airspeed get down to about 100mph, and then kick rudder until your nose it at about 10 or 11 o'clock.  As soon as you reach this yaw angle, cut throttle, but hold your rudder and aileron where they are.  With practice you can do it.

As I tried to show in my diagrams, the rudder did not cause the yaw at 16mph, that yaw was induced by the factors mentioned in your statement.

YAW caused by PFactor and Gyroscopic progression is always present as long as the engine is running, Unchecked by the rudder the nose of the aircraft would YAW (Swing) to the left.  Greatest at high AOA and High Power settings.  What I am saying is that the rudder would not have enough authority to offset the PFACTOR or Gyroscopic Progression caused by the High Power setting indicated in the video at airspeed below 40 MPH.  Yet, in the video the aircraft does not yaw until reaching an airspeed of 16mph.  It should have started to happed at 39mph.  

if you look at the gages in the video for power, RPM and Boost show WEP power settings until the airspeed droops to 16mph.  That is why I questioned the aircraft model.  The PFactor and Gyroscopic progression would have been over powering with no effective rudder to counter the turning tendency.  Below 40 MPH the rudder in the Mossy does not have enough power to allow the pilot to maintain directional control..  In the video there is no change in direction of the aircraft until the airspeed decreases to 16mph.  

What happened to the effects of  PFactor and Gyroscopic progression between 39 and 16 MPH?  

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes