Author Topic: New computer or should I wait?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: New computer or should I wait?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »
I would RMA it before outright returning it, since newegg charges a stiff restocking fee for returns.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
Sounds like a PSU issue to me.  PCIe x16 and PCIe X16 2.0 are cross-compatible.

The A8N-SLI Deluxe does have some cross compatibility issues. The BIOS has not been updated since Mar 7 2007 while other boards have seen BIOS updates more recently for the same problem. BIOS version 1604 is the latest version and it was a BETA. This is one of the first SLI boards so I am not surprised its very spotty on compatibility with PCIe 2.0.

EDIT: Worse is going to be compatibility with Vista I would think (given Nvidia anything).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:39:27 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 01:24:45 AM »
Well, I gutted the computer to make sure it wasn't a power issue. I tried an alternative power suppy, still no luck.

I can almost recreate it at all by playing with video settings in XP, it will lock up at time during that moment.

I'm going to try re-seating the card in the slot when I put in my old X-Fi this weekend. If that doesn't work, I will remove the 9800 and RMA it.

I really don't want to end up buying a new MB, CPU, Ram, etc etc right now.

I did flash the bios some time ago, I'm not home right now and I am not sure what version I'm running with right now. I know I do have a A8nSLI Deluxe MB.

Thanks again for all the help, gents.  :aok
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »
Give ASUS and maybe nvidia tech support a try...  They ought to be able to tell you right away if there is a compatibility problem.  I don't remember if you mentioned it, but also make sure your mobo bios is the latest.

Also, you could try a fresh windows installation if you have a spare HD lying around.  Install a new copy of winXP to the new HD and see if it works.  That would rule out any software problems.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:46:28 AM by eagl »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
Is that an Nvidia 700 series mobo?  If so update to the latest BIOS.  There were video corruption problems with that chipset a while back that were fixed with a BIOS update.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »
I have the new bios 1085 with the awdflash.exe on a preformatted floppy to flash the bios.

Is it alright to boot xp in safe mood with dos prompt or do I need to make an actual boot disk?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »
I have the new bios 1085 with the awdflash.exe on a preformatted floppy to flash the bios.

Is it alright to boot xp in safe mood with dos prompt or do I need to make an actual boot disk?

Just stick the floppy in with floppy drive as the first boot device and it will boot to the BIOS flash.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »

I would use a boot disk.  Windows does weird things with memory mapping.  This site might help, although I don't remember if I've tried any of their stuff:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
Yes sorry I got the name of your MB wrong. 1805 (I assume you thumbed the BIOS numbers) is the latest BIOS, but it was updated in support of a PCIe 1.1 video card so you may still have problems. Nothing to lose trying though.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 11:07:59 PM »
Sounds like a PSU issue to me.  PCIe x16 and PCIe X16 2.0 are cross-compatible.
Scottie Give me more power... PSU sounds like to me too.  Most prebuilts that are HP,Compaq, Dell etc etc are 300 to 400 watt PSU not enough.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »
I'm using a 650 BFG, I posted a link to it in this thread.

edit: here it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702003
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »
I'm using a 650 BFG, I posted a link to it in this thread.

edit: here it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817702003
Discontinued product.... only 2 12v Rails not enough amps collectively to do the job "+3.3V@30A,+5V@54A,+12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A"  Only 20 amps on two of the rails.  I have 36 amps on one rail alone.  Underpowered PSU, Not modular, and if you have one component plugged into the same rail as the video, say a hard drive your not getting all the power you need for the card.

~SPECS~
Minimum System Requirements
>   One vacant add-in card slot below the PCI Express® x16 slot. This graphics card physically occupies two slots
>   1GB of system memory
>   Microsoft Windows Vista -or- Windows XP
>   CD or DVD-ROM drive
>   100MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
>   450W PCI Express®-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 24A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core®2 Duo E4500 processor)
>   PCI Express® or PCI Express® 2.0-compliant system motherboard with one vacant PCI Express® x16 slot
>   Two 6-pin PCI Express® supplementary power connectors -or- One 6-pin PCI Express® and two 4-pin Molex® supplementary power connectors

Source: http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr98512gtxe.aspx

These are minimum requirements... do you have a faster CPU?  More then one HD, Lights, CD\DVD's etc.  How many fans?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:00:34 AM by TilDeath »

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »
And I thought BFG renegged their lifetime warranties on their PSU's in favor of lower quality units with 1 year warranties.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
TilDeath, thanks for the assistance! :)    You are right, I have 2 HDs, 5 fans, 4 joysticks, 2 mice and a keyboard. I purchased this power supply about 2 years ago when the current one literally started smoking.

Maybe I'm a moron (ok, I am) but I have no experience with electricity. I'm still on 15 amp service for the line my computer is plugged into, is  that apples and oranges?

Even if it is not, do you forsee me having problems overloading that 15 amp circuit if I get a bigger power supply?

If I do get a bigger power supply, is there one you recommend? I would like something I will not have to upgrade within 2-3 years, will power everything I have without any worries, and it will go in my new system eventually. I'll put the old PSU and the 7800 back into my old computer and give it to my daughter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:16:56 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 09:35:59 AM »
I really like my seasonic PSUs.  Quiet and no problems, "modern" selection of connectors and lots of power available on the rails.  In spite of Skuzzy's insistance that it's a problem, I like the modular one I have.  Yes every plug you add to a line drops the quality of power delivered down that line, but for most users the fact is that it simply isn't a problem.  We're not loading the PSU up to 90% of capacity and holding it there, we're not running 3-way SLI, and we're not pushing for world-beating overclocks.  A modular PSU will cost more but you really save on the clutter and you might even end up with LESS total connectors since you can often run single-connector lines straight from the PSU to the components needing power.  The mobo will always get power straight from the PSU without any extra connectors since the mobo lines are permanently attached as usual, and you can often use dedicated lines to power various items instead of putting multiple items on a single line if you're worried about power quality.  My video card uses two dedicated lines from the PSU, meaning each card is getting power from a line that has a single high quality connector (not those crummy molex ones).  That means I'm probably getting better quality power than someone who has their vid card running off of a line that has 2 or 3 connectors on it.

As for your PSU being the culprit...  A 650W psu wouldn't immediately strike me as being the problem since your total power load is probably somewhere under 350W at full load.  Still, anything is possible I suppose and a crummy PSU just might give the results you see.  Checking the exact PSU specs is a good idea, and matching the PSU to your vid card and then adding a hefty wattage pad is a good idea.  Don't break the bank getting a tri-sli certified unit, but your PSU should be more reliable if it's not working too hard.

I'd personally wait for the vid card RMA.  If the second card does the same thing, get a good PSU.  PC Power and Cooling has good ones, but like I said I really like my seasonic PSUs.  You really need to read some PSU reviews.  Again it's against Skuzzy's recommendation, but I like the testing methodology behind hardocp's PSU reviews.  They test them at various loads, look at voltage, ripple, sag under load, etc., and they also take the suckers apart to find out who the actual manufacturer was and what quality level of components were used.  Very detailed, and it might help you choose what brand and product line to get because sometimes they can identify when an expensive PSU is really just a re-branded cheapo model.

If you need a PSU NOW though, it's hard to go wrong with PC Power and Cooling or in my experience, Seasonic.  There are other brands that don't seem to have a "cheapo" product line, but I did my research a while ago and settled on those two as my personal picks.