Author Topic: what is more annoying?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: what is more annoying?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
I think this sums up my thoughts on where this thread is going:

Anyone attempting to coerce other players into their style of gameplay is wrong to do so.  It is one thing to offer up the different styles, but it is an entirely different matter when one attempts to force other players to play 'their' game.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
I completly agree. a squaddie of mine nailed it when he said ponies are alot of fun to fight, but its the lamest thing to chase.
I took a pony up once...for the heck of it. Just got done with a 5 kill 38 sortie and a 8 kill 4-Hog sortie so I figured I'd try it out. Was amazed at how incredibly easy it was to BnZ, turn fight, etc. Seems like one of the easiest planes to cruise around in and get a few kills. Landed with 6, not even a mark on me, despite my horrible aim.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »
A well flown 51 is a scary thing to behold. If I know 0ldemon or Steve ar in the area for example I fear every 51 I see. If I see a poorly flown 51 (mine included) it's no different than any other plane. Same can be said for some of our 38 pilots as well.
If someone is gonna bail from his bombers let me get close enough for a proxie at least  :devil
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »
A well flown 51 is a scary thing to behold. If I know 0ldemon or Steve ar in the area for example I fear every 51 I see. If I see a poorly flown 51 (mine included) it's no different than any other plane. Same can be said for some of our 38 pilots as well.
If someone is gonna bail from his bombers let me get close enough for a proxie at least  :devil

is ren still around? if i recall, he was a killer in the ponyd......even at low speeds.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »

Please enlighten me on how someone would catch an "extending" punkstang without a "fast" plane.

How do you "fight" against a plane that is running away from you?
Why should I even oblige?  It proves folks like you don't know how to equalize or take away the E advantage of a faster plane and kill it before it can get away.

They don't challenge the planes they are flying, or themselves.
Thanks for demonstrating exactly how hypocritical your position is.  How about applying the same standard and challenge yourself and your plane.  Hey you want that extending Pony to turn around, make yourself an inviting target for it and then learn how to out fight and kill it before the Mustang can get away.  It can be done just like the same way a savvy P-51 driver in disadvantage can turn the tables on a better turner for a kill if you know how to.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 09:45:54 PM »
I think this sums up my thoughts on where this thread is going:

SKUZZY quote ---- Anyone attempting to coerce other players into their style of gameplay is wrong to do so.  It is one thing to offer up the different styles, but it is an entirely different matter when one attempts to force other players to play 'their' game.

Agreed.

Tango, XO
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 09:49:45 PM »
Why should I even oblige?  It proves folks like you don't know how to equalize or take away the E advantage of a faster plane and kill it before it can get away.
Thanks for demonstrating exactly how hypocritical your position is.  How about applying the same standard and challenge yourself and your plane.  Hey you want that extending Pony to turn around, make yourself an inviting target for it and then learn how to out fight and kill it before the Mustang can get away.  It can be done just like the same way a savvy P-51 driver in disadvantage can turn the tables on a better turner for a kill if you know how to.

Tango, XO

There is a huge difference between a Pony pilot who knows his bird, and the Pony pilot who drops in from out of Icon range, is going so fast he misses the shot, goes back up at light speed out of Icon range and does it over and over again.  That's just boring.  That guy you can make miss over and over and over again.  Because they don't know their bird, that's all they do.

The good Pony driver  knows how to do more then that.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 10:00:34 PM »
  Ya Gup, its my opinion that the better pony drivers have an advantage of sorts mainly due to the fact that so many pony pilots do hit and run, when the better ones turn back into you, it often comes as a surprise,and sometimes that second or two of not expecting it gives them the shot they need. I know..long sentence :)

~AoM~

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
There is a huge difference between a Pony pilot who knows his bird, and the Pony pilot who drops in from out of Icon range, is going so fast he misses the shot, goes back up at light speed out of Icon range and does it over and over again.  That's just boring.  That guy you can make miss over and over and over again.  Because they don't know their bird, that's all they do.

The good Pony driver  knows how to do more then that.

Agreed corky.  

But it's hypocritical to whine about lack of skill of the Pony pilot when a equally skill-less Spit or N1K pilot doesn't know how to kill P-51 pilot with higher speed.  You can do a whole lot more in the Spit 16 than making a break turn.  The sword cuts both ways.  What all this boils down to is a stupid whine about someone not fighting the way you want them to.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustang

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 11:22:25 PM »
I really don't mind when a plane faster than mine extends a distance so they can get enough space to 180 and go for another merge.
I do the same. I get to 2.5 or 3k just to give myself plenty of room to get level, guess what he (the plane I am merging with) is going to do, and act accordingly.
It's the planes who I am following thinking, "Alright, hes got space now... he's gotta turn around... nope, 2 more sectors to go I guess..." that tick me off the most because at that point they seldom turn around or they just go and find friends and THEN do a loop to come at me.

As for #1, I get really disappointed when I spot a box of bombers in my P47, because shooting at bombers in a P47 is almost too fun, they bail 2k away from me.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 01:47:37 AM »
some noob in spit 16, la or nik kills me and trash talks on 200 after wards.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 01:50:21 AM »

So your saying that the P-51 is a one trick pony?

I've fought against a few guys in ponies who would probably voice a different opinion.

I've seen guys turn fight the hell out of those things.

Running is only one choice of many tactics that are available to 51 pilots.

Unfortunatly it seems to be the only tactic you see the majority use.

Its not only a shame to waste the planes available talents, but extremely annoying as well.

I find myself not playing the game as much anymore,because I'm tired of having to climb to 15k+ to be co- alt with the ever present pick and run ponies.

Its tough to get in a low to med. alt fight while all the while trying to avoid a barrage of 51 punks going for the easy kill.

And God forbid the 51 pilot should happen to see anyone co-alt with him, because then its just HO, run and climb,run and climb or just dive and run.

As much as I despise the P-51, I have to keep reminding myself, its not the plane, its the pilot.

So, you are saying that the pony should fly at 5-10 k where its performance suck?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 02:45:54 AM »
So, you are saying that the pony should fly at 5-10 k where its performance suck?

I don't think I ever said that.

At 5-10k it wouldn't be the plane that sucks, it would be the pilot.

Altitude doesn't matter as much as attitude.

I don't care if the plane is at 5k or 20k , the intention of the pilot would be more telling than the planes performance limits.

Some of the best fights I've ever had were against ponies(and others) about 2 ft. off the deck with my LA-7, turning like our lives depended on the outcome!! Some I've won, Some I've got my donut kicked.

Either way it didn't matter, had alot of fun.

The point is--we engaged in aerial combat in totaly different planes, each with its own disadvantages, and win or lose we both came away with a sense of satisfation you couldn't possibly get from simply running away and maybe landing an easy kill or 2.

No one could possibly tell me with a straight face that the P-51 is strictly a "gun and run" plane.

A plane with such a legendary reputation couldn't possibly be that one dimensional.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:56:26 AM by 1Boner »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 02:56:32 AM »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2008, 05:38:55 AM »
Bomb and baling Lanc-stukas. Last night we ran a GV mission and up came heavy 17s, 24s, and Lanc-stukas. They didnt stop the mission, instead some good GV'ing on the Bish side did before we were able to grab the town. But still to see these heavy 4 engined bombers being flown like that, and then bailed from, is as gamey and disgusting a thing as is in this game.

The B-25Hs and IL-2s that upped against us I can admire. The Jabo dropping bombs on us I can admire. The tanker who out shot me I can admire. But the characters that fly heavies like that, and then bail to upp more, need a good cleansing with a personal hygiene product. I wish Aces High would re-write the code for these heavy bombers. To see them disrespected, dive bombing and bailing like that, really takes away from the game. At least for me it does, and after such gamey nonsense I dont even feel like upping tanks again.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"