Author Topic: Perk the Schwinn!  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
Re: Perk the Schwinn!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
I corked the wiper fluid nozzles around so they shot straight ahead on my dad's company car.. I think wetrat used to get evasives reflexes when mustangs trailed him.  I used to 'see' ack sprites chasing me in slo-mo from the corner of my eyes when rolling onto highway entry ramps.

My bro had a '65 Mustang back in '68. He routed some copper tubing from the washer to the gap before the pony's rear legs on the front grill. Had some fun with it.  :t

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 06:35:49 PM »
Man, those were the days.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
Looks like 1 Rook and 10 High Bish-Knits just noticed him

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 09:02:03 PM »
They had a nice bit in the movie "Deep Blue World" showing how they used bicycles to train pilots. Good movie and well worth picking up...

edit: do they give a year for that picture? It looks like they are using a modified 'Finger Four' formation and likely after BoB.

Sorry for being picky but it's "Dark Blue World". Tis a great movie...IMO.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
When I was in pilot training, a few of us went to the exchange parking lot with our bikes and "flew" the pattern, yelling out the standard radio calls.  It really did help us learn the pattern procedures in a fraction of the time it otherwise would have.

Today, we have scale traffic patterns outlined in tape on the floor of our flight briefing rooms.  When the new class starts flying, it is not unusual to see 5 or 6 students walking the lines, inflight publications in hand, practicing pattern procedures and radio calls.  I still recommend the bike method however, because then they can't just stop and think about stuff.  It makes them think while moving and that is a critical skill for a real life pilot.

And for those who see the students on their bikes and laugh...  All I can say is that they're not fighter pilots, and I am  :devil
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
When I was in pilot training, a few of us went to the exchange parking lot with our bikes and "flew" the pattern, yelling out the standard radio calls.  It really did help us learn the pattern procedures in a fraction of the time it otherwise would have.

Today, we have scale traffic patterns outlined in tape on the floor of our flight briefing rooms.  When the new class starts flying, it is not unusual to see 5 or 6 students walking the lines, inflight publications in hand, practicing pattern procedures and radio calls.  I still recommend the bike method however, because then they can't just stop and think about stuff.  It makes them think while moving and that is a critical skill for a real life pilot.

And for those who see the students on their bikes and laugh...  All I can say is that they're not fighter pilots, and I am  :devil

Sounds funny to watch but very educational.

:lol

Offline Spyder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »
ROFLOL

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »
Sometimes early on a saturday morning I get early and take my gsxr 750 for a spirited ride through some of the nearby hills, anyway one morning after rounding a blind sweeper at 160kph  (100mph) I came across a large group of cyclists across the road strugling up the hill, all I could do was blast the horn and go through the middle. After seeing the photo it would be the equivalent of a 262 plowing through the middle of a bunch of spit ones with the cannon firing scattering them all over the place. I still chuckle to myself when I think back on it.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 10:48:01 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl bicycle  :rofl... riding dogfights... :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
Horde
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
this is what they used to simulate 262s
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
looked like a schwarm of P51's passing a "zero"
See Rule #6

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
Here in Texas a bicycle is to be treated just as another vehicle on the street. When you pass him your supposed to clear his lane entirely. While some cylist are jerks, most are not.

And bicycles are supposed to obey all traffic laws, including stopsigns and redlights.  (however I see them frequently act as if they don't apply to them)
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell