Author Topic: X-mas Gift  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: X-mas Gift
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »
Well, I am thinking about getting a GT version 9800 to avoid possible power troubles.  Unless someone can confirm that 2x 4-pin molex to 6-pin would work reliably.  If so I will go GTX.

Thanks for help, would be nice to have a GPU that is still sold.

Great deal Fulmar! for  $150 but just found 1 for $109  new!!!!!!  9800GT. Can he get an adapter for another 6 pin molex?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-N975-AR-e-GeForce-512MB-Graphics/dp/B001DDYSLA/ref=sr_1_1/185-6398495-8208161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228890931&sr=1-1

I do believe with that one, being a 9800 'GT', it only needs one 6-pin.  The 9800 'GTX/GTX+' need 2x 6-pin connectors.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:31 AM »

all set! They are like $3

:aok
See Rule #6

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:32 AM »

Great deal Fulmar! for  $150 but just found 1 for $109  new!!!!!!  9800GT. Can he get an adapter for another 6 pin molex?

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-N975-AR-e-GeForce-512MB-Graphics/dp/B001DDYSLA/ref=sr_1_1/185-6398495-8208161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228890931&sr=1-1
Dr D you dont read whole threads do you?  I stated that if the card has duel power source needs he can but should NOT use the adapator.  eVGA warns about this.  I have the warning for my 280 GTX .  It is the same warning for all their cards.  He stated that he can not afford a new power supply so he needs a GPU needing only one power source.  Again giving advice without knowledge of actually knowing what your talking about.  Did you ask him how many fans, hard drives, DVD\CD's he has... not that I saw but yet you stated your power supply is good enough, what are you basing your judgement on?  In reality it probably isnt if he has to power a card with two sources.  The best place for him to shop is the makers website's, they state all requirements for their products.  He can then purchase where he can get the best price for his budget.  Please just because you have built a few systems for yourself and maybe friends, let the people whom actually are knowledgeable make suggestions.  

Your acting like someone off the street put into the quarterback position for an NFL team, you in way over your head and your suggestions are always out of the pocket and in a scramble.  David Letterman should start a new theme to the stupid pet tricks "Worst PC Answers" you could get the limelight then and be a guest star.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:13:30 AM by TilDeath »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Well after looking on Newegg I think I have found the one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380

Good brand, good price, only 1 power pin needed, beats my 7900GS obviously. :D
How's it look Death?  There something better for the budget?
If this one looks to be the best price/performance, then the buy button it shall be!  Well, hopefully.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »
Well after looking on Newegg I think I have found the one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130380

Good brand, good price, only 1 power pin needed, beats my 7900GS obviously. :D
How's it look Death?  There something better for the budget?
If this one looks to be the best price/performance, then the buy button it shall be!  Well, hopefully.
Check your power supply and make sure you have 26 amps on your 6pin rail, if so "Push that button"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 01:37:50 AM »
How do you know the 6-pin Rail?  The 12V according to the site has 26A, according to the label has 12V1@19A and 12V2@23A.  Not quite sure which to go by, but would it work, or shall I find a lower power card...or simply attempt to get extra cash and get a new PSU.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 01:40:01 AM »
How do you know the 6-pin Rail?  The 12V according to the site has 26A, according to the label has 12V1@19A and 12V2@23A.  Not quite sure which to go by, but would it work, or shall I find a lower power card...or simply attempt to get extra cash and get a new PSU.
Check private mail

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 07:28:59 PM »
Really need to word replies Tildeath. Just state the fact pls. TY
See Rule #6

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
My bad posted wrong pic of adapter. The 9800GTX actually comes with 2  "Y" adapters. For $25 more you get the 9800GTX a better card than 9800GT/

ACTUAL PHOTO OF SUPPLIES THAT COME WITH EVGA 9800GTX. If you read the notes on TILDEATHS reply, it says that the GTX260 comes with adapters but is not encouraged. The warranty will still be good seeing it comes with adapter! A single 9800GTX will run fine with 1 "Y" adapter and your 6 pin connector. I read multiple forums on this topic.

Your PSU should be fine but post the brand and model number. We can check if there has been tests published to check amps. You posted 1 rail has 23 amps but still post the make and model. Tildeath may be correct in GTX should have 26 amps but this is if you run SLI. If you do not overclock, your PSU should be good. Post model! High end Nvidea cards want 15 amps but they publish higher recommendations due to the suspect PSU's available. They hate rma's and lower end PSU's are not true to published specs/ Post model and is it SLI certified.

Nice thing about spending the $25 extra is a better card. This card is $150.

Here is link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

The 9800GTX is better. It has a 128 shader and the 9800GT only has 112 shader. Basically the 9800GT is an rebranded 8800GT but the 9800GT is slightly better. Also the core clock on the 9800GTX is way higher and better if you're gonna do some OC'n. Keep in mind, you may have less problems with newer drivers on GTX.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:39:18 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
170 great news!!! I called EGVA and they said your PSU will be fine for 9800GTX! I gave the tec the amps to your rails. I also had David Letterman call to comfirm this and David said GO BALL STATE!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:31:32 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
170 great news!!! I called EGVA and they said your PSU will be fine for 9800GTX! I gave the tec the amps to your rails. I also had David Letterman call to comfirm this and David said GO BALL STATE!
If the PSU would work was not the question DrD again you DID NOT READ... it was the fact of NOT USING the adaptor for a second power source.  You are making my point exactly as stated in other posts in this thread... you DO NOT READ THE THREADS.  Now if you want to call eVGA and talk to one of the engineers not a tech, they will take the call, you and you can tell them the TECH said the PSU is fine and use the adaptor to power the card.  You can tell him he had no clue what he is doing becasue the TECH said it was ok.  CLEARLY the time was taken to place a notice in the packaging stating "Use for Temp Only".  Again he DOES NOT HAVE THE MONIES to replace the PSU also and get a new GPU.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
If the PSU would work was not the question DrD again you DID NOT READ... it was the fact of NOT USING the adaptor for a second power source.  You are making my point exactly as stated in other posts in this thread... you DO NOT READ THE THREADS.  Now if you want to call eVGA and talk to one of the engineers not a tech, they will take the call, you and you can tell them the TECH said the PSU is fine and use the adaptor to power the card.  You can tell him he had no clue what he is doing becasue the TECH said it was ok.  CLEARLY the time was taken to place a notice in the packaging stating "Use for Temp Only".  Again he DOES NOT HAVE THE MONIES to replace the PSU also and get a new GPU.
Talking to the tech and engineers is like night a day.  I called BFG once and they transferred me to a eng and its nice to be able to talk to someone who doesn't read off a script.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
...its nice to be able to talk to someone who doesn't read off a script.
Amen! I have too many stories of ignorant individuals who claimed they were there to help you and they didn't even bother listening to what you were telling them.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Amen! I have too many stories of ignorant individuals who claimed they were there to help you and they didn't even bother listening to what you were telling them.
Especially with internet companies.  I call them up and tell them first thing I tried all the normal procedures, shutdown computer, unplug modem, restart everything blah blah blah.  No matter what, the first thing they tell me is exactly what I already did.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Talking to the tech and engineers is like night a day.  I called BFG once and they transferred me to a eng and its nice to be able to talk to someone who doesn't read off a script.
DrD tightens the noose around his neck with each post he makes.  He is great at finding deals on newegg etc, heck I could find the guy a GPU, PSU combo for 39.99 will it work Nah.  Seems he does not get the the idea of components working STABLE with each other.  He shops price and says "This will work" sure if may work but is it stable, is it correct for the other components, less then 50 50 chance.

DrD I have a question... what certifications do you have, degrees, or on the job training to make suggestions.  I could teach my 9 year old daughter to shop pricing not all that tough.  I have a degree in Computer Science from University of Pittsburgh, degree in Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, Intel Certified Reseller (not just a reseller), Microsoft Certified Partner, MS Certified Solutions Provider, ASUS Certified reseller, Gigabyte Certified Reseller, Mushkin Certified, OCZ Certified.  I have my MCSE, CNE etc etc... along with 27 years of system building, service, trouble shooting, network admin etc etc, what do you have an A+ cert at best or maybe a Newegg frequent best price shopper.  Again know what you stating to someone before you say eVGA said this or _________ said that.