Author Topic: instrument lighting at night  (Read 164 times)

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
instrument lighting at night
« on: June 09, 2001, 12:36:00 AM »
I love the night.  Please don't take it away; make it longer, if possible.  

It is a little weird, however, that the instrument pannel and cockpit is still very brightly lit against the black night.  It would be cool if there was just a dim, red glow illuminating the instruments and much less brightness on the interior struts and framing.

Rust

The Free French Air Force

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: rust ]

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2001, 05:25:00 AM »
I agree,like in EAW had a cool red night lamp.. :)<S!>
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2001, 07:08:00 AM »
Damn, thats what i was gunna post about... Yer, HTC, it should be real easy to do this one. Make the cockpit lit by red light not normal white light. Would be too cool  :D
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline vega

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bombergroup.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2001, 09:38:00 AM »
I agree....we need longer nights.
Also, whereas modern cockpits are lit solely with white, cockpits up until about 1969 were lit with red lights.  
(due to a misconception about night vision which lasted throughout WWII)
Anyway, we need more night, we need more instrument weather, and we need radio beacons and fixed card ADFs for approaches.
  :)

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2001, 05:22:00 AM »
I need a nice dim red light for my jug's instruments.  Currently, it is difficult to see anything in the sky because the instruments are way too bright--just as bright as in the day time.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
A map that doesnt show radar unless you have a light inthe cockpit  :D you have to switch on a light to see where you are on the map?  :D
I think the night is a feature that should definately still be available but i have to say this it seemed when i played it was always dark around the same time (around 6pm GMT?).I used to have 16 bit and i didnt like the way night made my screen look terrible.Would be worth mixing the times up a bit?But, at the same time, when i did enjoy a virtual night, i usually was already half way to tartget in a bomber and id arrive in the dark.Usually, total coincidence.I never payed much attention to the time do you?   :D.

Maybe to satisfy all, the ones who want less night would agree to say, thursdays as a 'longer virtual night' day and have less 'virtual nights' throughout the rest of the week?.
Then you would all have 1 day in the week to focus on and it would even help those that want to do bigger and longer night missions get together!
and as an added treat HTC   ;) for eye candy give 'em fires in the cities and incendries   :D.

I dont think just making every night, as they have it now, longer will work.The numbers logged on did drop quite a bit as dusk starts, I'd left a few times and i liked it mostly.   :)

BIG LANC MISSIONS with converted ju88 night fighters! search lights   :D mm dont that sound good?

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: hazed- ]

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2001, 07:28:00 AM »
Additionally, at night could the icon range be shortened... say from 6k to 4k.

Also, when flying towards the moon, the instrument panel becomes brighter.

Should that not work the other way around - when flying away from the moon the instrument panel becomes brighter?

Nexus

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
You would only ever turn on a red cockpit light to read a map. Otherwise only the instruments are lit. and those should be dimmed to almost nothing once you've acquired your night vision.

btw, keep the night!

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Dux ]
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
lol jeez dux snap out of it man! charlie in the trees!!! fire the mortars!!  :D

night vision? turn the brighness up  :)

its only a gameplay feature we dont need to simulate our iris  :D
have the cockpit lit up red but the clipboard clear.turn off light clipboard blank.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2001, 04:38:00 PM »
lol    ;)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2001, 08:30:00 AM »
Longer night? No thanks it is long enough now. I fact I wish it HTC will decide to go away with it as before.

mx22

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
mx22 didnt you read what i said? less night throughout the week but just 1 day of 'long nights' for those that crave the nightfighter stuff?

Im really not bothered either way myself but even if i hated the night id still appreciate some want it.

try to be a bit fair to those types eh ?   :cool: